- REI Co-opRainier Rain Jacket - Men's$89.95Extended Sizes Available
- REI Co-opGroundbreaker Rain Jacket 2.0 - Men's$59.95
- REI Co-opRainier Rain Jacket - Women's$44.83 - $89.95
- The North FaceVenture 2 Rain Jacket - Men's$58.73 Compared to$99.00You save 40%
- REI Co-opXeroDry GTX Jacket - Men's$159.00
- REI Co-opXeroDry GTX Jacket - Women's$110.93 - $159.00
- REI Co-opPike Street Trench Coat - Women's$159.00
- Red LedgeEVA Adult Poncho$6.95
- REI Co-opRainier Long Line Rain Jacket - Women's$119.00
- The North FaceJourney Jacket - Women's$129.00
- REI Co-opGroundbreaker Rain Jacket 2.0 - Women's$59.95
- REI Co-opDrypoint GTX Jacket - Men's$173.93 Compared to$249.00You save 30%
- Outdoor ResearchHelium II Jacket - Women's$111.73 Compared to$159.00You save 29%
- ColumbiaAuroras Wake III Mid Jacket - Women's Plus Sizes$66.73 Compared to$95.00You save 29%
- Royal RobbinsMobile Waterproof Trench Coat - Women's$114.73 Compared to$165.00You save 30%
- The North FaceDryzzle FUTURELIGHT Jacket - Men's$159.93 Compared to$229.00You save 30%
- REI Co-opGroundbreaker Rain Jacket 2.0 - Women's Plus Sizes$59.95
- Arc'teryxBeta AR Jacket - Men's$418.93 - $599.00
- Arc'teryxZeta SL Rain Jacket - Women's$299.00
- CraghoppersToscana Jacket - Women's$49.73 Compared to$100.00You save 50%
- ColumbiaBradley Peak Jacket - Men's$69.73 Compared to$99.00You save 29%
- MarmotMica Jacket - Men's$63.73 Compared to$160.00You save 60%
- MarmotBennu EVODry Anorak - Women's$59.73 Compared to$200.00You save 70%
- Black DiamondTreeLine Stretch Shell Rain Jacket - Women's$129.00
- The North FaceJourney Jacket - Men's$129.00
- ColumbiaTryon Trail Shell Jacket - Men's$58.73 Compared to$99.00You save 40%
- PatagoniaTorrentshell 3L City Coat - Women's$229.00
- REI Co-opXeroDry GTX Jacket - Women's Plus Sizes$78.83 - $159.00
- REI Co-opStormbolt GTX Jacket - Men's$279.00
- Outdoor ResearchHelium Rain Jacket - Men's$159.00
If you want to be out and about in rainy weather, you'll need a jacket that's up to the task. Options range from low-end ponchos on up to jackets that cost several hundred dollars. Spending more gets you better performing technology and additional technical features.
Levels of Rain Protection
More affordable jackets are "water resistant," meaning they handle drizzle for short periods of time. An inexpensive rainslicker fends off even hard rain (it's "waterproof") but won't breathe at all, which can make for a sweaty experience. For the most comfort, especially if you're exerting yourself during a storm, you need a jacket with "waterproof/breathable" technology like GORE-TEX fabric, though dozens of other technologies perform a similar function.
Waterproof/breathable jackets feature multilayered materials that are engineered to keep raindrops out while also letting sweat vapor escape. They might use laminates or coatings in a 2-layer, 2.5-layer or 3-layer configuration
Very generally: 2-layer jackets are often urban styles and are quieter (less of a "swishing" sound as you move); 3-layer jackets are the most durable and, ironically, the lightest option; 2.5-layer jackets are also lightweight, but don't tend to be as durable as 3-layer jackets. How Rainwear Works has more details about those three types of construction.)
Design details add to both weight and cost, so look at features carefully. Hoods might be basic, ultra-adjustable, stowable or removable-or a jacket might forgo the hood entirely. Pockets can have specialized details like water-resistant zips or mesh that lets the pockets double as vents. Pit zips are important for more active use. Stretch fabric can also be a plus.
Most rain jackets also come with an added durable water repellent (DWR) finish that acts as a first line of defense against rain and helps the underlying waterproof/breathable technology perform at its best. It's important to maintain your jacket's DWR finish over the years.
More to Consider
It takes more than a rain jacket to keep you dry and warm. Don't forget long underwear, rain pants and a hat. To extend rain protection to your pack, get a raincover. To keep your rain jacket performing at its peak, wash and renew the DWR treatment on a regular basis.
More Reasons to Shop at REI
REI carries top brands like Arc'teryx, Columbia, REI Co-op, Patagonia, Outdoor Research, Marmot and The North Face. We also have a library of clothing articles to help you find the right clothing for any weather and any outdoor activity.