2022 Impact Report
The collective good a co-op can do
REI is a different kind of company. As a co-op, we measure success against our positive impact on our employees, members, society and business. Our Impact Report shows what we've done (with your support!) to help connect every person to the power of the outdoors and engage them in the fight to protect it.
P.S. Not a member? A lifetime membership is just $30 and comes with tons of perks. Learn more about membership
in co-op sales
in employee retirement and incentives
invested in over 503 nonprofit partners
distributed in Co-op Member Rewards to our 23M members
More than 78,000 members of the REI community have joined us in advocating for the outdoors through our grassroots advocacy program since its 2021 launch. Together, we’ve sent more than 250,000 messages to decision-makers at the state and national levels, helping to pass three bills that tackle the climate crisis and make the outdoors a more equitable place to recreate.
Our ESG Scorecard allows us to transparently track our progress against key performance indicators across environmental, social and governance topics.
In 2022, Outdoor Afro Inc. and REI launched a co-create hike collection to help solve unmet needs in outdoor apparel and celebrate Black joy in nature.
For the first time in 84 years, we significantly changed the ways that members can connect with the co-op. A lifetime REI membership includes benefits that make it easier for people to make the most out of every experience outside and be part of a community that supports a new outdoor culture.
Path Ahead Ventures
In 2022, Path Ahead Ventures launched three programs for founders, partnered with 39 entrepreneurs, provided $370,000 in grants, and invested $2.3 million in 11 companies.
2022 by the numbers
- Over 16,000 employees
- $50 million in competitive pay adjustments
- $92.3 million in employee retirement and incentives
- Introduced the REI Access Plan to provide access to medical coverage for every employee who needs it
- Launched The Way Forward, our commitment to reimagining the employee experience
- 23 million members
- $223.7 million distributed in Co-op Member Rewards
- $6.9 million contribution to 503 nonprofit partners by REI Co-op
- Additional $2.9m donated to 31 nonprofits by new public charity, the REI Cooperative Action Fund, during its FY’21 and FY’22
- 250,000 messages sent to decision makers through REI’s grassroots Cooperative Action Network
- $3.85 billion in revenue
- Opened five new stores and expanded into one new state
- 370 metric tons of CO2eq per million dollars of revenue, up 2% from 2021