The Seattle REI Climbing Pinnacle is operated by the REI Outdoor School. Visit REI Outdoor School for a complete listing of programs including climbing, kayaking, cycling, navigation, hiking classes and more!
Standing 65 feet tall, the REI Rock Climbing Pinnacle has been an iconic feature of the Seattle landscape since the REI Flagship store’s grand opening in 1996. Pinnacle climbers are treated to spectacular views of the Seattle skyline as well as peek-a-boo view of the surrounding mountains on a clear day.
Are you signed up to climb the Pinnacle or take a class? All climbers must complete and turn in an REI release of liability form prior to climbing. Minors (18 and under) must have this form signed by their parent or responsible adult. (Notes, phone calls or altered REI forms are not acceptable.) Download the liability waiver. PDF (44k)
Ways to Climb the Pinnacle
This is a great way to experience the Pinnacle for the first time, to try climbing, or to introduce friends or family from out of town to a Seattle icon.
Hours: Currently not available
- Good for one climber and usually enough time for one climb
- $15 Members/$25 Non-Members
- Good for up to two climbers and usually enough time for two climbs
- $30 Members/$50 Non-Members
During our Open Climbs, you’ll get to climb as much as you can during a two-hour period. Whether you've just learned the basics, are looking to step up your technique, or want to try multiple routes, Open Climbs at the REI Pinnacle are a great way to schedule some practice time. Expert REI Outdoor School instructors will be on hand to belay and offer tips. No previous climbing experience necessary. Pre-registration recommended to guarantee a spot; drop-in’s welcome if there are spots open.
Dates/Times: Currently not available
Cost: Members: $29 | Non-members: $49 (cost includes tax)
Register/Info: Currently not available
- Learn to Climb
- Women's Learn to Climb
- Learn to Climb for Kids 5-7 years old
- Learn to Climb for Kids 8-12 years old
- Family Learn to Climb
- Climbing Anchor Concepts
- Climbing Technique and Movement
- Rock Climbing Rescues
- Introduction to Leading Sport Climbs
Dates: Currently not available
Register/Info: Currently not available
Looking for some extra attention to hone your climbing skills? Can’t find a class to fit your schedule? Private instruction is a great way to go! Private class versions are available for all our classes. You’ll get plenty of practice time as well as individualized attention from our expert REI Outdoor School staff.
Dates/Time: Currently not available
Group & Private Climb Reservations
Want to reserve the Pinnacle for your next group activity? Contact the REI Outdoor School to set a reservation for your group.
- Reservations are available in 2-hour increments and include all necessary gear.
- Each reservation time includes a safety talk and fitting each climber with shoes and a harness.
- Actual climbing time varies.
- Please contact us with at least 3 weeks advance notice.
- Pre-payment is required to confirm your reservation.
- A maximum of 18 participants is permitted during each 2-hour group session. If your group is larger than 18, please contact us to discuss options.
Available Days: Currently not available
- Small Group: up to 6 participants Member price: $150 (includes tax) Non-member price: $200 (includes tax) Price includes: 2-hr reservation, all necessary gear and 1 REI staff belayer.
- Medium Group: up to 7-12 participants Member price: $250 (includes tax) Non-member price: $300 (includes tax) Price includes: 2-hr reservation, all necessary gear and 2 REI staff belayers.
- Large Group: up to 13-18 participants Member price: $350 (includes tax) Non-member price: $400 (includes tax) Price includes: 2-hr reservation, all necessary gear and 3 REI staff belayers.
- All climbers must complete and turn in an REI release of liability form prior to climbing. Minors (18 and under) must have this form signed by their parent or responsible adult. (Notes, phone calls or altered REI forms are not acceptable.) Download the liability waiver. PDF (44k)
- Children under the age of 13 must have their parent or responsible adult present in the Pinnacle area during their climb.
- Unless climbing, please stay on the paved pathway. Please remain quiet in this area so belayers and climbers can communicate with each other. Cameras are permitted.
- Unless otherwise approved, only REI Outdoor School climbing staff are permitted to belay or to adjust ropes, belay device anchors, hand/footholds, and climbing routes.
- No loose chalk or chalk balls are permitted.
- REI supplies shoes and harnesses for all climbers. Personal equipment may be used only with the approval of and REI Outdoor School climbing staff.
- Please pay for all merchandise before entering the Pinnacle area.
- REI is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- All climbers, observers and other guests must act responsibly. Legal guardians and/or responsible adults must monitor their children in the Pinnacle area.
- Cancelations or transfers for climb reservations, classes and Open Climbs must be place a minimum of 48 hrs in advance to receive a refund. For group reservations, a minimum of two weeks advance notice is required for a full refund. If you would like to change or cancel your reservation for a group climb or class please contact the REI Outdoor School at 206-470-4083 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Seattle Pinnacle Contact Info: