Rated 5 out of
Military Operator and Boy Scout dad
Amazing leap in lighting technology!
I was at REI yesterday afternoon picking up a few last minute items before a long trip and as I was walking out I saw the new Goal Zero Light-A-Life 350. I have the Sherpa 100 with inverter as well as three of the previous generation of Goal Zero Light-A-Life LED lamps. I bought the new L-A-L 350 and checked it out when I got home. Pretty amazing piece of gear. First impressions:
- much more compact
- very solid construction
- one powerful 5W CRE LED instead of a more delicate “bulb” with an array of LEDs
- versatile with either the shade extended or kept in place for more direct light
- kept the same under-$40 price point
- hi/lo/off switch which gives the system incredibly versatility (and potential for power saving although I've never drained my Sherpa battery down to where it didn't fully recharge in the sun the next day).
- magnetic bracket both on light housing and on hanging hook caribiner
- must read the instructions (or you’ll miss many of the nuanced features the Goal Zero designers have thought to include such as the ability to easily shift the cable length by pushing down the silver button….I had no idea and of course saw it works on my old model too).
Really impressed. I can't wait to use my entire Goal Zero lighting system including the new 350 for some family beach camping while SUP. Great design job Goal Zero!
Date published: 2015-07-07
Rated 4 out of
Very impressive. Slick design w some nice touches. Nice gain in light output over the old model, like the hi/low lumens option, much more compact, works w all my older GZ gear and now easier to pack for trips. Will be adding a few more to the outfit as I need them.
Date published: 2015-11-14
Rated 3 out of
Plug receiver not great
When using more than one of these lights, you can daisy chain them by plugging them into one another. Unfortunately, the plug receivers on the back of the lights are not great. If you move the cord or light, the plug can easily become disconnected. Not great.
Date published: 2016-11-25