cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

I am looking for a free standing rain fly, does such a thing exist?

I'm looking for a free standing rain fly.  What I'm looking for, though, is something just like the REI Passage 2 has but without the tent part of it.  That is, I just want the rain fly portion and the poles that can be used without the tent.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
4 Replies

@deanrmcminn Thanks for reaching out!

While there are tents that offer a footprint/fly pitching option, none of the REI Co-op tents come with that feature. Additionally, we do not carry any tents that do not include the tent body. You will have to purchase the tent and the footprint separately and then you can leave the body of the tent at home.

Here are a couple of examples:

If you're looking for shelter from the elements without having to pack a tent body, we recommend considering a tarp like the REI Co-op Quarter Dome SL Tarp, the MSR Thru Hiker 100 Wing Shelter, or the Sea to Summit Escapist Tarp Shelter. You can check out this REI YouTube video, 4 Ways to Set Up an Ultralight Tarp Shelter, for some ideas on how to make a tarp work for you.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

You do carry various "shade shelters"  that might also meet the requirement depending on the purpose...

https://www.rei.com/c/shade-shelters?pagesize=90&ir=category%3Ashelters&r=category%3Ashelters%7Cshad...

These are more for wind and sun protection at a beach or similar location.

0 Likes

Thanks John,

Can the rain fly for the Passage 2 be used without the tent?  This is for my Marine son so the price point is a little for friendly.  Basically he's looking for something he can get under in bad weather without the whole tent.

Thanks.

0 Likes

@deanrmcminn Thanks for clarifying!

The REI Co-op Passage 2 is not designed to be used without the tent. The issue there is that the rainfly clips into the tent, not the footprint, so while there are grommets in the footprint to put the pole in, there isn't a way to connect the fly to the corners. If you wanted to do that you would have to fashion a way to do that yourself. Have you looked at the REI Co-op Ultralight Bivy? That might be a solid option to give your son something to keep him dry in bad weather.

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes