As we continue to monitor the novel coronavirus COVID-19 situation across the United States, REI Co-op has made the decision to shut down all climbing pinnacles. In making this decision, we are closely following guidance from public health officials and operating out of an abundance of caution.
Bloomington Pinnacle Climbing Wall
All climbers must complete and turn in an REI release of liability form prior to climbing. Minors (18 and under) must have this form signed by their legal guardian. (Notes, phone calls or altered REI forms are not acceptable.) Download the liability waiver. PDF (44k)
Closing times vary due to daily demand and the number of waiting climbers on the list.
Climbers signed up on the waiting list must remain in the store or risk losing their place on the list.
The wait to climb the Pinnacle varies from 30 minutes to 4 hours.
- Monday: Closed (Pre-arranged Groups)
- Tuesday: Closed (Pre-arranged Groups)
- Wednesday: Closed (for Climbing class) - Class begins at 6:00 PM
- Thursday: 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM (estimated) - Sign-up on waiting list
- Friday: 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM (estimated) - Sign-up on waiting list
- Saturday: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM (estimated) - Sign-up on waiting list
- Sunday: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM (estimated) - Sign-up on waiting list
REI members and immediate family members climb the pinnacle once each day for free. For non-members climbing is $10 for each climber.
- Pinnacle climbs are first come first served. A wait-list may be generated during busy times. The Pinnacle will be closed when the wait-time extends to 1 hour before store closing.
- Children under the age of 10 must have their parent or responsible adult present in the Pinnacle area during their climb. Climbers must be 5 years old or older, at least 40 pounds, and have a height of 42 inches or greater.
- Unless climbing, please remain on the paved pathway. Please remain quiet in this area so belayers and climbers can communicate with each other. Cameras are permitted.
- Only REI-certified employees are permitted to belay, or to adjust ropes, belay device anchors, hand/footholds, and climbing routes.
- REI supplies chalk, bags, shoes and harnesses for all climbers. Personal equipment may be used only with the approval of REI-certified staff.
- REI is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- All climbers, observers and other guests must act responsibly. Parent or responsible adults must monitor their children in the Pinnacle area.