Features of the Katadyn Hiker PRO Water Filter
The field-maintainable Katadyn Hiker PRO water filter is easy to use and includes handy features such as quick-connect fittings to make filtering water a cinch.
- Hiker PRO includes a field maintenance kit with cleanable filter protector to extend the cartridge life in challenging conditions
- Approximately 48 strokes per min. provide 1 liter of clean drinking water
- Quick-connect fittings permit easy installation and removal of input and output hoses; hoses also connect directly to hydration reservoirs with 0.25 in. drink tubes
- Filter physically removes particles, protozoa and bacteria down to 0.2 microns in size, including giardia, salmonella, cryptosporidia and others
- Glass-fiber element is pleated for increased surface area to handle silt and muddy water
- Activated-carbon core absorbs chemicals and pesticides to improve taste of water
- To clean filter protector, simply swish it in the water
- Pre-filter at hose inlet filters to 150 microns, removing larger contaminants before they reach the main filter to increase its life span
- Ergonomic pump handle is comfortable and easy to pump
- Katadyn Hiker PRO water filter includes a carry sack and bottle adapter that fits most water bottles
Check out this comment from Backpacker Magazine's March 2006 Gear Guide issue: "We sent the Hiker Pro on the trail with testers who swore they'd never give up their ultralight, fuss-free chemicals. Then they tried this glass-fiber filter and rediscovered the sweet taste of mountain streams sans chemical aftertaste."
Weight reported dry, without accessories; manufacturer-supplied specifications.
|Filter medium||Pleated 0.2 micron glassfiber/carbon core/filter protector|
|Removes/Destroys||Protozoa and bacteria|
|Pump force||8 pounds|
|Pump strokes per liter||48|
|Output||1 liters per minute|
|Housing material||ABS plastic|
|Dimensions||6.5 x 3 x 2.4 inches|