Novara Bikes Preview

A couple weeks ago, I got an early look at some of REI's new 2011 Novara bikes as the first samples were unboxed and built. The bikes will make an informal splash later today at our 2nd annual CarniVelo: A Celebration of Bike Culture employee event here at REI headquarters campus. Aside from Bike to Work Day, CarniVelo may be my next favorite day of the year. Even though it’s only in its second year, it’s evolving quickly into a giant spinning wheel of spectacular-ness. I mean, you can’t go wrong with an employee bike show (so many sweet bikes!), bike-themed screen printing, a slow bike race, lots of informational and interactive booths, a DJ and, of course, the Novara line of bikes and clothing to preview.

Because we like to share the love, you’ll find shots from the unboxing of the bikes below—eye candy aplenty for your day—and I’ll be writing up a recap of CarniVelo awesomeness tomorrow.

Also, there will be a formal announcement of the new Novara line at Interbike 2010 (the massive annual September convention in Las Vegas for the bike industry), so stay tuned for more details on the bikes at that time.

Ponderosa 29er

Novara Carema Pro bike

Novara Carema Pro frame detail

Express

Novara Express bike

Fusion

Novara Fusion bike

Novara Fusion bike chain guard detail

Jaunt

Novara Jaunt bike

Jaunt xx

Novara Jaunt xx bike

Novara Jaunt xx bike "Best Foot Forward" detail

Novara Jaunt xx bike

Tagged: CarniVelo, Cycling, Novara, bicycle and rei

coreyk

Some pretty great new bikes here.

P47

Is there a Randonee in the 2011 roundup? Bought an '09 in May of this year after looking at both the '09's and the few '10's that showed up in the stores. Yes, it's a little heavy, but it's my commuter and it needs to be tough. The first 750 miles have been great. Tough making time for its "break-in period" tune-up. So, is the Randonee line kaput, or will there be a 2011 model?

Also hoping the Novara Headwind pants will return. The '09's suffered from a change in the stretch fabric - faster wear, pilling and picking up debris. My '08's are a year older, but in better condition. Great pants for short (7 mile) commutes in about any rideable Seattle area winter conditions.

Cyndi M Staff Member

Hi P47,
So glad you like your Randonee. It currently is on a short sabbatical. An updated model is in development and will be included in the 2011 line but probably won't show up until spring. Headwind pants are still in the lineup for Fall 2010. Thanks for your input on the fabric. Check out the new Headwind Jacket - available sometime late August-early September. Men's and women's versions.

P47

Thanks for the update, both on the Randonee and the Headwind line. Might be in the market for 55cm frame. Thought that the 52 was just right for me, but sometimes I think it's just a bit small. Overall, I still like the bike, and it probably is a good commuter size. SPD pedals, lights, one pannier and seat mounted tool bag, and it's good to go. At 850+ miles, it's overdue for it's "break-in" period tuneup, but I can't bring myself to drop the bike off and be without it for several days.

popeyek1

O.K. so can you give any peek under the tent??? I had a Randonee for a year and loved it but it wasn't worth bending back together after we got hit by a car in July. (they did bend me back together). So I'm looking to replace it. Problem is there are none left. So is the 2011 worth the wait? What's the new color? What about disc brakes??? You say spring, is that like late February in time for spring rides or May? Thanks for any info.

mr.ed_raleigh

WOW! I am excited to see the new bikes and can't wait till they hit the floor! Someone finally heard my cries for orange Novara bikes! :-)

Genetic Staff Member

I would love to see a Novara Multisport bike. I'm kind of curious why there is no compact crankset on the Strada and Carema Pro. Great looking lineup for 2011!

JRamm

What about a photo of the new Safari? What's happenin' with that guy?

happy camper

I've been good and patient but I can't take it anymore! I'm with JRamm, how about a look at the new Safari.

TwoWheeledExplorer

What have you done to my bike!?!?!? The Safari was the best, possibly most unique bike in your line-up. First you gave it 700 tires, now it's chromoly! What happened to the stalwart, sensible, nicely-priced, uber-expedition bike with it's beefy, solid aluminum frame and 26", get-em-anywhere-in-the-world tires. You already have commuter models...you didn't need to "comm-mutate" the only trekking bike made for the US market. I am sad.

TwoWheeledExplorer

juliem

On the fusion, why is there a derailler-like dangly bit on the rear wheel?

mr.ed_raleigh

"On the fusion, why is there a derailler-like dangly bit on the rear wheel?"

chain tensioner, likely due to the frame having vertical dropouts.