Getting ready to head out on a bikepacking adventure? Our comprehensive checklist includes essentials for biking and camping. Organizing your gear into groups can be a good way to remember to pack what you need:
- Bike gear: This includes things like your bike, helmet, packs and lights.
- Shelter: Remember your tent, tarp, bivy or hammock.
- Sleep system: A sleeping bag and pad are the two must-have items.
- Cooking: Bring a stove, fuel, lighter, mug, pot and spork.
- Water: Pack a water filter, purification tablets and a water reservoir or bottles.
- Clothing: You'll want clothes for riding, like bike shorts, jerseys, socks, rain gear and bike gloves, and clothes for camp, such as underwear, a warm hat and a p/c/jackets/f/f-puffyuffy coat.
- Navigation: Essentials include a map, compass and route description. Many people bring a GPS and/or smartphone.
- Hygiene/toiletries: Make sure you have sunscreen, lip balm, toothpaste and toilet paper.
- Bike repair tools: Be prepared with things like spare tubes, a patch kit, pump, tire levers and a mult-tool.
- First-aid supplies: Bring things like blister pads, bandages and pain-relief pills.
- Miscellaneous: Food, a headlamp, extra batteries, sunglasses, a camera and a journal are some of the extra items you might want.
- Bikepacking packs (seat pack, handlebar pack, frame pack, etc.)
- Lightweight lock (opt.)
- Wicking jersey or top
- Padded shorts or tights
- Sports bra
- Bike shoes
- Rain jacket
- Rain pants
- Weatherproof gloves
- Stowaway wind jacket
- Insulation layer for cold conditions
- Arm/leg warmers
- Long-underwear top
- Long-underwear bottoms
- Warm hat
- Wool or synthetic socks for sleep
- Puffy insulated jacket or vest
- Ball cap
- Sandals (opt.)
- Cellphone (opt.)
- Solar/portable charger (opt.)
- GPS (opt.)
- Personal locator beacon (opt.)
- Route description
Bring only as much as you anticipate needing.
- Zip-top bags (varied sizes for waste, food, etc.)
- Lip balm
- Hand sanitizer
- Small toothbrush
- Biodegradable soap
- Toilet paper (2-4 squares per day)
- Pre-moistened wipes (2 per day)
- Sanitation trowel
- Menstrual products
- Women’s pee funnel
- Women’s pee rag (1/4 cotton bandana)
- Prescription medications
- Chamois cream
Bike Repair Tools
- Spare tubes
- Patch kit
- Compact pump or CO2 inflator with cartridges
- Tire levers
- Cycling multi-tool
- Replacement chain links
- Chain tool
- Spare spokes
- Spoke wrench
- Brake cables and derailleur cables
- 6” adjustable wrench
- Assorted nuts and bolts
- General-purpose multi-tool
- Duct tape
- Zip ties
- Blister pads
- Gauze pads
- Antibiotic ointment (small packet)
- Pain-relief pills
- Medical information/emergency contact card