Screen Name Required

A screen name is required for sharing content on REI. Click here to create a screen name before continuing.

Set screen name

Traveling Internationally? Get Tips on Electricity Adapters from REI Expert Advice

Hair dryers? Tablets? Laptops? If you want to bring such electricity-based gadgets on your international trips, it’s wise to be prepared—or a dead device and a cloud of smoke could be the unintended result.

Our Electricity Guide for Travelers article has just been updated by John Higgins, a well-traveled Australian who works as a product expert at the REI Salt Lake City store. John's article is one of more than 300 topics covered in the REI Expert Advice online library.

Electrical adapters

As the article notes, there is no international standard for electrical power supply or outlet configurations. Fortunately, for most travelers, a simple adapter plug is all that is needed. Some devices, however, also require a converter or transformer to power up safely.

To understand the difference, check out the Electricity Guide for Travelers article. Additional information is available on John’s more-detailed companion articles: Electricity Guide: FAQs and Glossary and Electricity Guide: Voltage and Outlets by Country.

Do you have questions about outdoor or travel gear? Let us know what topics you'd like REI Expert Advice to discuss.

Posted on at 10:00 AM

Tagged: REI Expert Advice, Travel and electrical adapters

Ratings and Comments

(0) (0)
write a comment
You already voted on this.
Log in to comment or rate.

Unable to Post Comment

We were unable to post your comment at this time. Your opinion matters, so please try again later.

  • Most Recent
  • Most Commented

    No entries found

    No entries found