Gale’s Wild Idea: To share stories of women from all walks of life who are passionate about the outdoors, and encourage them to explore.
Gale Straub is the voice and creator of the popular podcast and community, She-Explores. The podcast focuses on women in the great outdoors, and tells the stories of entrepreneurs, athletes, and “ordinary” women who are “curious, inquisitive and beyond.” It’s well-edited and inspires people to spend more time outside, which I am a huge advocate of. Gale left behind the life of a CPA for a long stint on the road in a van with her boyfriend before starting the show. It was a big risk, which she talks about. She also shares about what it's like living with your significant other in a confined space, and why she loves connecting with women in the outdoors.
Listen to this Episode if:
- You love the outdoors, or are feeling the call to adventure.
- You are a She-Explores listener and want to get to know the voice behind the podcast.
- You’ve thought about quitting your job to pursue your passion and want to know how to do it.
- You want to explore in a van or take a long road trip with your partner.
- You want to start a podcast or just hit the road.
- 4:10 - What is She Explores.
- 4:55 - Gale interviews all kinds of people: entrepreneurs, athletes, and “ordinary” women.
- 7:20 - Gale’s adventure in a Sprinter Van.
- 9:40 - What Gale learned traveling around in a van.
- 10:30 – Why Gale believes slowing down is so important.
- 11:50 - How Gale’s relationship with her boyfriend changed when they lived in a van.
- 13:55 - Advice for living van life.
- 16:20 - You have to hike your own hike.
- 17:30 - Why Gale decided to become a CPA.
- 20:40 - Gale’s everyday adventure style.
- 22:25 - The connections Gale made through She Explores.
- 24:35 - Finding balance and routine.
- 25:55 - The opportunities that have come out of She Explores.
- 27:10 - Gale’s favorite fanmail.
- 29:40 - Why Gale doesn’t post pictures of herself on Instagram.
- 31:50 - Gale’s favorite gear.