Take your Dutch oven to the campground, and make campers happy with an unforgettable feast.
What You Need
- Dutch Oven – A cast iron pot with lid is essential for making gourmet pizza over a campfire.
- Toppings – While planning the group food, ask friends what pizza toppings are their favorites and then take it up a level. Surprise friends with gourmet cheese (goat or Asiago) and caramelized onions, barbecued chicken, wild mushrooms, arugula, fresh corn, and the works–the fresher the ingredients, the better.
- The Dough – Make the dough at home or camp with three basic ingredients: flour, water and yeast. Hack: Use your water bottle as a rolling pin.
When you've got glowing coals:
- Pre-heat your dutch oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Grease you oven with high-heat oil.
- Slide your pizza into the dutch oven.
- Put the lid on and cover with hot coals.
- Check every five minutes by carefully opening the lid.
- If the top is nicely browned, it's done and time to eat!
Want to build the perfect campfire before preparing your pizza? Check out how to build a campfire from REI experts.