cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Mens Hiking Boots with wide toe box?

Hi -- I am shopping for hiking boots for my husband for his upcoming birthday.  He does a lot of backing with 30-40 lb packs and currently has a pair of Asolos.  Lately, he has complained about the toe box being too narrow in his hiking boots and I am wondering if there is a brand with the same level of support as Asolos but a wider toe box that you could recommend?  thanks!

0 Likes
4 Replies

Hey there @KristinDale !

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!  Replacing a pair of hiking boots for someone else can prove to be a little tricky but I'll give you the best advice I can.

For starters, depending on which boots your husband has, and assuming he is currently in the standard width, we may have the wide width version available.  We currently offer the Fugitive and the TPS 520 Evo in wide.

There are some brands that have a reputation for fitting folks in need of a wider toe box. Many customers have enjoyed the Vasque Breeze , Keen Targhee , Lowa Renegade , or the Merrell Moab hiking boots!  Each of these boots will feel different though in comparison to his Asolo boots.

I'm going to tag some of our hiking experts so that they might add to the discussion! @REI-EricP @REI-PearlD @REI-CharityP 

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@REI-AlyS thanks so much.  We looked together and he is going to try the Vasque hiking shoes.  appreciate your help.  

Hi @KristinDale and thanks for reaching out! As @REI-AlyS mentioned, buying shoes for someone else is a tricky endeavor, so consider adding a virtual outfitting session for him as part of the gift! It could really add another whole level of special to his birthday.

In the meantime, without knowing the specific model of Asolo boots, I do know that they are pretty serious boots with a lot of support and durability. I also need shoes with a wider toe box, so in addition to the great suggestions @REI-AlyS gave you, here is another...

The Zamberlan Vioz GTX is my preferred backpacking boot, and it comes in wide sizes. It ticks off a lot of the same boxes as the Asolo backpacking models. I really like heavy duty, supportive boots for backpacking.

If these don't remotely look like the model your husband has, let us know and we can keep helping. But again, look at getting him that virtual outfitting to really dial the fit and model in!

Have fun out there!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Man, with the stores closed, it's a real crap shoot buying boots on-line.  And there's got to be dozens of asolos.

That said, REI is a good choice because you can try them on and return them if they don't work out.

I recommend the wide box Hoka One One I bought last summer

https://www.rei.com/product/155542/hoka-one-one-stinson-atr-5-trail-running-shoes-mens

I use these for backpacking, also with a 30-40 lb pack, they are absolutely fantastic!

You might also consider an REI gift card, if they have them, so he can browse through replacements himself.

good luck!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes