Melissa Hartwig Urban is a powerhouse of a woman and the founder of the Whole30 program. Over the last decade, Melissa and the Whole30 program have amassed a huge following and helped hundreds of thousands of people reset their own health, habits and relationship with food. The mom, author, fellow podcaster and health and wellness advocate recently started spending more time in the outdoors. She calls the mountains and canyons her church and has been sharing gorgeous pictures of her pursuits on her social media accounts. Melissa is also the author of two new books, including Whole30 Friends & Family, which helps Whole30 followers stick to the program in social settings and during the holidays.
In our conversation, Melissa and I not only talk about the creation of the Whole30, both as a food-focused health program and as a business, but we talk about parenting, sleep, the outdoors and her mission to make Whole30 more accessible for all. She also shares tips on how to not only foolproof your own self-confidence, but how to stay healthy during the holiday season. I love Melissa’s mission to help people learn for themselves what foods allow them to best fuel their adventures in life and on the trail.
Listen to this episode if:
- You’ve heard of, tried, or wanted to try the Whole30 program.
- You struggle with feeling your best during the holiday season.
- You want to get better sleep.
- You are ready to have iron-clad confidence.
- You want to learn Melissa’s awesome meditation technique and where she does it.
- 4:20 – What is Whole30.
- 6:00 – How we can change how we use food.
- 9:00 – Building the Whole30 into a business.
- 12:45 – How Melissa teaches her son about healthy food choices.
- 18:40 – How Melissa fool-proofed her self-confidence.
- 22:30 – Melissa is very protective of her sleep.
- 25:30 – Why moving is the first thing Melissa does every day.
- 27:30 – Why Melissa Hartwig Urban has been gravitating toward the outdoors.
- 34:20 – The message behind Melissa’s new book.
Episodes to listen to:
- The Importance of Doing Nothing with Bonnie Tsui
- Climbing Mountains with Caroline Gleich
- The Adventure of Self-Love with Sarah Herron