Sarah Herron is a filmmaker, a non-profit founder and an entrepreneur. Born without the bottom half of her left arm, a condition known as congenital limb difference which affects about 2,000 babies born in the U.S. every year, Sarah was uncomfortable with adventure and sports growing up. Even though she grew up in Colorado, a hotbed for adventure sports, she hated having to ski with one pole, and didn’t like the extra attention from having only one arm. When she had the opportunity to appear on season 17 of The Bachelor, she took the plunge. She received an outpouring of love and support from women and girls with their own physical differences who were inspired by her courage, and has made an impact in many lives.
After her time on national TV, Sarah found a passion for outdoor adventure, including sports like hiking, rappelling and rock climbing. It inspired her to found SheLift, a non-profit organization aimed to help women and girls with physical differences embrace outdoor activities.
Today, Sarah’s adventures go further than Bachelor Nation. She’s an athlete, a mentor and a filmmaker. We talk about how she broke out of her comfort zone, discovered the value of community and finally found love inside and out.
Listen to this episode if
- You are looking for love.
- You want to learn more about adaptive sports.
- You’ve seen and supported Sarah Herron on The Bachelor or Bachelor in Paradise.
- You want to start a non-profit.
- You could use some inspiration to find self-love.
- You want to hear from one badass woman.
- 04:20 - How Sarah got on The Bachelor.
- 09:10 - Sarah’s experience on the show.
- 15:45 - How The Bachelor changed her life.
- 23:00 - Why Sarah got into hiking and climbing.
- 26:20 - How Sarah climbs with her limb difference.
- 30:25 - The mission of SheLift, Sarah’s nonprofit organization.
- 34:20 - Advice on living with a physical difference.
- 41:35 - Sarah’s new film “Dead Last.”
- 46:15 - How Sarah finally found love.
- 50:25 - One last piece of advice on being yourself no matter what.
Episodes to listen to
- Dead Last
- Challenge Aspen
- Keen Women’s Terradora hiking shoes
- REI Adventures - learn more about Sarah's upcoming trip with REI, the Peru multi-sport trip from Machu Picchu to Rainbow Mountain, you can call 800-622-2236