REI Co-op to open new store in Wichita, Kansas on August 14, invest $10,000 in local community
New store will offer top quality outdoor gear, zero contact bike shop services and Buy Online, Pickup In Store capabilities
Aug 5, 2020
SEATTLE – REI Co-op will open its new store in Wichita, Kansas on August 14 for limited in-store shopping, offering a wide assortment of quality outdoor gear for hiking, camping, mountain biking and paddling. The new 20,000-square-foot store was originally scheduled to open in the spring but was delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic. REI Wichita will also offer Buy Online, Pickup In Store capabilities and zero contact bike shop services. With nearly 70,000 lifetime members in state, REI Wichita will join the co-op’s existing Kansas location in Overland Park.
“As an organization dedicated to ensuring all have the opportunity to enjoy and explore the outdoors, we are thrilled to join the Wichita community and connect people to the incredible outdoor spaces in the area,” said Ian Erickson, REI Wichita store manager. “With the best gear for hiking, cycling, camping and paddling, our new store in Wichita will be a hub for outdoor activities in the region.”
In lieu of in-person grand opening events or giveaways, the community is invited to celebrate the store virtually. Customers can visit the Wichita store page for updates. In addition, REI plans to invest $5,000 each in Bike Walk Wichita and the Kansas Singletrack Society. REI has been part of the Kansas outdoor community since opening its Overland Park store in 2013. In 2019, REI invested $16,600 in local outdoor nonprofits in Kansas. Each year, REI invests millions in nonprofits across the country that steward and maintain local trails, parks and public lands and connect people to the outdoors.
REI Wichita will be open for in-store shopping with several health and safety protocols in place designed to maintain physical distance between customers and employees. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Operating on a reduced schedule and limiting the number of people in store. REI Wichita will be open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday. Customers may be asked to wait in line outside of the store to ensure proper distancing.
- Requiring employees and customers over the age of two to wear face coverings. Disposable face coverings will be available for those who don’t have them.
- Socially distanced queuing at store entrances, footwear, cash registers and shop counters.
- Plexiglass shields at all registers.
- Enhanced cleaning procedures with thorough, frequent cleanings of high-touch surface areas.
To help minimize wait times, customers are encouraged to plan ahead for the products they need. In addition to connecting with experts in store, REI’s Expert Advice series offers numerous resources for customers and members to learn new skills, choose the right gear and prepare for outdoor adventures. In addition, customers may schedule virtual outfitting appointments online to receive personalized, one-on-one service for things like hiking boot and running shoe fittings, cycling outfitting, and camping and backpacking outfitting from home. In addition, REI offers virtual events to connect people to the outdoors.
Wichita store facts:
- Location: 2774 North Greenwich Court
- Store hours: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday; 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday
- Size: 20,000 square feet
- Special features and services: Bike shop with zero contact shop services; Buy Online, Pick Up In Store; virtual events and outfitting
- Number of employees: 39
- REI membership: Nearly 70,000 co-op members in Kansas
- Other Kansas store: Overland Park (opened 2013)
REI is a specialty outdoor retailer, headquartered near Seattle. The nation’s largest consumer co-op, REI is a growing community of more than 19 million members who expect and love the best quality gear, inspiring expert classes and trips, and outstanding customer service. REI has 167 locations in 39 states and the District of Columbia. If you can’t visit a store, you can shop at REI.com, REI Outlet or the REI shopping app. REI isn’t just about gear. Adventurers can take the trip of a lifetime with REI’s active adventure travel company, a global leader that runs more than 250 itineraries across all continents. In every community where REI has a presence, professionally trained instructors share their expertise by hosting beginner-to advanced-level classes and workshops about a wide range of activities. To build on the infrastructure that makes life outside possible, REI invests millions annually in hundreds of local and national nonprofits that create access to—and steward—the outdoor places that inspire us all.