REI Co-op COVID-19 Health & Safety Standards
May 19, 2021
All REI stores are now open to customers, with some locations continuing to limit capacity due to local restrictions. In every case, we’re taking precautions to ensure the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities. We’ll provide clear guidance for customers on how to shop or do curbside pickup, and continue to closely follow guidance from national, state and local authorities to make sure we’re operating in compliance with any restrictions in place.
Here’s what you can expect:
Safety comes first
- Every one of us is accountable to ensuring we hold to these standards.
- Anyone is empowered and expected to speak up if they spot an issue or have a concern.
- We’re making sure our teams are empowered with the knowledge and the training they need to effectively do their jobs while meeting these health and safety protocols.
Shopping at REI stores
- All stores are open for limited in-store services, and hours will vary by location.
- Nearly all stores offer curbside pick-up.
- If permitted by local authorities, fully vaccinated customers and employees— having received their final shot at least two weeks prior—are not required to wear face coverings in REI facilities. We are asking our community to help us create a safe environment for all.
- We are requiring all unvaccinated customers older than age 2 and all customers in regions with local mask mandates to wear face coverings that align with CDC guidance while at REI stores. We will provide disposable face coverings for anyone who doesn’t have them. We’re asking our community to respect this simple action to keep our employees and their fellow customers safe, and to help stop the spread of COVID-19.
- Face coverings made of mesh or other loosely-knit fabric are not permitted. Additionally, face coverings must fully cover the nose and mouth at all times.
- Gloves are available to all staff and customers who choose to use them.
Social distancing standards
- To protect the health and safety of employees and customers who are not fully vaccinated, we’re limiting the number of people allowed in a store at a given time. We’re following local ordinances, which vary greatly, but you can expect that we’ll continue to operate at significantly less than our typical capacity for the foreseeable future.
- We have socially distanced queuing at store entrances, cash registers and shop counters.
- Six feet is the standard, and store managers are empowered to stop operations or limit capacity if maintaining distance between unvaccinated people appears to not be possible.
- Plexiglass shields are installed at all registers.
- All fitting rooms are open.
- We’re maintaining our enhanced COVID-19 cleaning procedures in addition to our daily standard cleaning services.
Health screenings and policies
- In March 2020, we modified our paid time off policies to ensure that employees—including hourly retail employees—who miss work due to a diagnosis of COVID-19 or to care for family members diagnosed with COVID-19 do not suffer loss of income or other benefits.
- We require employees to check for COVID-19 symptoms before each shift and to stay home if they feel unwell. Managers are empowered and trained to send visibly sick staff home.
- We installed temperature check devices at all REI locations. We require on-the-clock (paid) health screenings—including a temperature check—upon arrival for work each day. Anyone, including fully vaccinated employees, with a fever of 100.4°F or higher will be required to go home.