REI Co-op COVID-19 Health & Safety Standards
Jul 29, 2021
All REI stores are open to customers, with locations continuing to limit capacity to ensure a comfortable experience for everyone. In every case, we’re taking precautions to ensure the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities. We’ll provide clear guidance for customers on how to shop or do curbside pickup, and continue to closely follow guidance from national, state and local authorities to make sure we’re operating in compliance with any guidance, requirements or restrictions in place.
Here’s what you can expect:
Safety comes first
- Every one of us is accountable to ensuring we hold to these standards.
- Anyone is empowered and expected to speak up if they spot an issue or have a concern.
- We’re making sure our teams are empowered with the knowledge and the training they need to effectively do their jobs while meeting these health and safety protocols.
Shopping at REI stores
- All stores are open for in-store services, and hours will vary by location.
- Nearly all stores offer curbside pick-up.
For fully vaccinated individuals
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced new guidance for COVID-19 protocols on July 27, 2021. The revised guidance states that even people fully vaccinated against the coronavirus should resume wearing masks in public indoor spaces in areas of substantial or high transmission as defined by the CDC.
- Beginning on Monday, August 2, in CDC designated “substantial” or “high” transmission areas, we are strongly encouraging customers to wear CDC approved face coverings. We are asking our community to help us create a safe environment for all.
- Employees working in these areas will be required to wear face coverings regardless of vaccination status. Face coverings made of mesh or other loosely-knit fabric are not permitted. Additionally, face coverings must fully cover the nose and mouth at all times.
- In CDC designated “low” or “moderate” community transmission areas and if permitted by local authorities, fully vaccinated customers and employees— having received their final shot at least two weeks prior—are not required to wear face coverings in REI facilities.
- Signage at store entrances will instruct customers of that location’s current policy.
For unvaccinated individuals
- We are requiring all unvaccinated customers older than age 2 and all customers in regions with local mask mandates to wear face coverings that align with CDC guidance while at REI stores. We will provide disposable face coverings for anyone who doesn’t have them. We’re asking our community to respect this simple action to keep our employees and their fellow customers safe, and to help stop the spread of COVID-19.
- Face coverings made of mesh or other loosely-knit fabric are not permitted. Additionally, face coverings must fully cover the nose and mouth at all times.
- Gloves are available to all staff and customers who choose to use them.
Social distancing standards
To protect the health and safety of employees and customers we are asking everyone to maintain six feet of distance (about two arm lengths) between themselves and people who do not live in their household.
- We’re limiting the number of people allowed in a store at a given time. We’re following local ordinances, which vary greatly, but you can expect that we’ll continue to operate at significantly less than our typical capacity for the foreseeable future.
- We have socially distanced queuing at store entrances as needed, and at cash registers and shop counters.
- Store managers are empowered to stop operations or further limit capacity if maintaining distance between people appears to not be possible.
- Plexiglass shields are installed at all registers.
- All fitting rooms are open.
- We’re maintaining our enhanced COVID-19 cleaning procedures in addition to our daily standard cleaning services.
Health screenings and policies
- In March 2020, we modified our paid time off policies to ensure that employees—including hourly retail employees—who miss work due to a diagnosis of COVID-19 or to care for family members diagnosed with COVID-19 do not suffer loss of income or other benefits.
- We require employees to check for COVID-19 symptoms before each shift and to stay home if they feel unwell. Managers are empowered and trained to send visibly sick staff home.
- We installed temperature check devices at all REI locations. We require on-the-clock (paid) health screenings—including a temperature check—upon arrival for work each day. Anyone, including fully vaccinated employees, with a fever of 100.4°F or higher will be required to go home.