It only takes a little bit of planning, a camping recipe, a cast-iron pan, simple ingredients and an appetite for good food to make a night at camp complete.
Car Camping Tiramisu
• Instant vanilla pudding mix (3.4 oz)
• 3 cups cold water
• 1 cup powdered milk
• 1 packet (2 tsp) instant coffee
• 1 mini-bottle (4 oz) coffee liqueur
• Angel food cake
• Dark chocolate
• Chocolate syrup
- Prepare the pudding: Whisk together pudding mix, water and powdered milk in a large bowl. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Prepare the coffee mixture: stir together instant coffee and coffee liqueur.
- Spread a layer of pudding onto a baking dish or bowl. Next, add a layer of angel food cake.
- Pour coffee mixture over the cake. Repeat pudding, cake and coffee layers.
- Finish by topping with pudding and dark chocolate shavings.
- Serve with chocolate syrup.
• 1 lb pork loin
• 1 lb spicy Italian sausage (removed from casing)
• 1 onion
• 1 jalapeño
• 3 tbsp chili powder
• 1 tbsp cumin
• 2 tsp dried oregano
• 1 cup cilantro
• 1 (15 oz) can black beans
• 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
• 2 cups water
• 2 tbsp olive oil
- Cut the pork loin into bite-sized pieces. Dice the onion and the jalapeño. Chop the cilantro (leaves and stems). Rinse the black beans.
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat until shiny. Add pork loin and Italian sausage. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until browned.
- Add onion, jalapeño, chili powder, cumin and oregano to the pot. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add black beans, water, tomatoes and half of the cilantro. Season with salt and stir to combine. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low (leaving the chili covered) and cook for 3 to 6 hours until chili is reduced.
- Garnish with the remaining cilantro and toppings of your choice.
Note: To serve immediately, omit water from step 4 and cook for 10 minutes on medium while covered.
Sweet Potato BBQ Burger
• 1 (15 oz) can white beans
• 1 medium sweet potato (grated)
• 1 egg (beaten)
• 1 cup breadcrumbs
• 1 tbsp chili powder
• 1 tsp cumin
• ½ tsp coriander
• ½ tsp garlic powder
• ½ tsp salt
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 4 hamburger buns
• Toppings of your choice
BBQ Sauce Ingredients
• 1.5 cups ketchup
• ¼ cup mustard
• 1/3 cup brown sugar
• pinch of salt
- In a large bowl, combine beans, sweet potato, egg, breadcrumbs, chili powder, cumin, coriander, garlic powder and salt.
- Using your hands, form ¼ of the mixture into a ball and then flatten it into a patty. Form 4 patties total.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add patties and cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
- While burgers cook, combine ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, and salt in a bowl to make BBQ sauce.
- Toast hamburger buns if desired. Assemble sweet potato burgers and top with bbq sauce and toppings of your choice.
Spicy Camp Mac & Cheese
• 3 tbsp butter
• 2 tbsp grated parmesan
• ¼ cup breadcrumbs
• ¼ cup flour
• 3 cups milk
• 2 cups elbow macaroni
• ½ tsp dry mustard
• 2 cups shredded cheese of your choice
• 2 jalapeños (or to taste)
• Hot sauce to taste
• Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and parmesan.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Remove one tsp and stir into breadcrumb mixture.
- Once butter is melted, whisk in flour and milk. Add pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente.
- Remove the skillet from heat and stir in mustard, cheese, jalapeños, salt and pepper. Top with breadcrumb mixture and hot sauce.