Steve’s Wild Idea: To share deeper stories about travel and adventure by creating an online and print media company, Adventure Journal.
Steve Casimiro is the founder of Adventure Journal, an online magazine with a beautiful quarterly book that covers the deeper side of adventure. Steve has worked in journalism for years. He got his start in newspapers, then worked at Powder Magazine, helped start Snowboarder Magazine, was the founding editor of Bike Magazine, and then the west coast editor of National Geographic, before he jumped into the world as a media entrepreneur.
Becoming an entrepreneur, and starting a media company, especially at the height of the recession wasn’t easy, but Steve had the experience and the willingness to do every single job necessary, even packing and delivering magazines, to make it happen. He shares tips about starting your own business, why failure is important, and how art and adventure go hand in hand.
Listen to this Episode if:
- You love adventure.
- You love old school journalism, great stories and beautiful magazines.
- You are a photographer.
- You want to start a business.
- You want to know what it really takes to start a thriving adventure magazine.
- 2:50 – What got Steve hooked on adventure.
- 4:20 – The magic of a turn in the snow.
- 5:40 – How Steve got into journalism through photography.
- 8:50 – Why Steve started blogging and how he survived the recession.
- 13:50 – Why the pursuit of selfish accomplishments doesn’t keep you warm at night.
- 15:15 – What Steve loves adventure.
- 17:30 – Steve’s passion for books that allowed him to escape.
- 20:41 – How Steve composes a photo.
- 24:00 – The struggle of social media.
- 25:40 – What a digital Sabbath is.
- 27:40 – What goes into starting an adventure magazine.
- 30:30 – Why you have to do every step in the process when you start your own project.
- 37:30 – Some of Steve’s favorite travel destinations.
- 41:15 – Why we all need to be less selfish.
- 42:15 – Why you can think of everyone as family.