Shanti’s Wild Idea: To improve people’s lives, health, and communities by getting families outside through Hike it Baby.
Shanti Hodges is a journalist, writer, and mom who started a community called Hike it Baby. The non-profit organization’s mission is to connect families and get them outside, especially when their children are young. Hike it Baby is now responsible for bringing families and babies on over 3,000 hikes a month in over 330 cities.
Shanti is an inspiring woman who had a wild idea and made it a reality. She shares insights on how Hike it Baby grew so rapidly, what it takes to start a movement, why nature is so good for babies and adults, and why Facebook called up Shanti and personally invited her to their headquarters.
Listen to this Episode if:
- You love hiking, nature and being outside.
- You’re a parent or love kids, and want to spend more time with family outdoors.
- You are a city slicker and intimidated by the outdoors.
- You want to start a community.
- 4:50 – Why Shanti didn’t want to be stuck inside when she became a Mom.
- 8:45 – How Shanti used technology to connect people.
- 11:10 – Why Shanti was invited to Facebook.
- 16:15 – How consistency helped Shanti grow Hike It Baby.
- 18:40 – Why the first three years of a child’s life are crucial for development.
- 20:15 – Lessons Shanti has learned from starting a community.
- 27:00 – What Shanti is writing a book about.
- 35:00 – How to get city slickers out in nature.
- 39:20 – What Shanti has learned from being a mom.
- 42:50 – Social media.
- 46:50 – Shanti’s upbringing with a lot of freedom.
- 53:00 – Why you should get outside, no matter what group you go with.
- 54:00 – The importance of community.