Norah’s Wild Idea: To create an innovative company that makes seafood not only sustainable and delicious, but helps improve the health of the oceans while connecting people with their food and where it comes from. To also empower other young female entrepreneurs to take risks in businesses even in industries primarily dominated by men.
Norah Eddy is the co-founder of Salty Girl, a sustainable seafood company with an innovative way of doing business. She grew up in a small New England fishing town and has worked on and around fisheries and boats all over the world. As a surfer and all around water-woman, her love for the ocean is apparent not just in her work with Salty Girl, but in her personal life too.
I talked to Norah just before she gave her first TED Talk, and I can see why they invited her. Norah’s created an inspiring company that’s helping connect people with the food that they eat while encouraging sustainable practices. We talked about sustainability, becoming an entrepreneur, being a young businesswoman in a male dominated field, and creating a mission-based company.
Listen to this Episode if:
- You love seafood.
- You want to save the ocean.
- You love companies with a mission.
- You’re a woman in a male-dominated industry.
- You want to change the world through business.
- 2:20 - How Norah decided to start Salty Girl.
- 3:00 - Applying an entrepreneurial lens to environmental problems.
- 4:25 - The New England connection to the seafood industry.
- 5:45 - Why Norah’s life focuses on the ocean.
- 8:00 - What happened in the Galapagos.
- 9:00 - How Salty Girl is different.
- 10:15 - Their fish is sold with the modern consumer in mind.
- 11:30 - How Salty Girl is making seafood a no-brainer.
- 14:00 - The hardest parts of starting a mission-based business.
- 18:00 - Norah’s nervous for her upcoming TED Talk.
- 20:20 - Why we need to talk about failures too.
- 23:30 - What the sustainable fishing industry looks like.
- 24:40 - What you should know about the fish you buy at the store.
- 28:00 - Norah’s favorite fish to cook.
- 29:40 - Being female in a male-dominated world.
- 32:00 - How Salty Girl connected with Toad & Co.
- 36:00 - The challenges of starting a new company
- 40:30 - Norah’s message for the world.