Devyn’s Wild Idea: To connect people through films and stories that will change the world.
Devyn Bisson is a documentary filmmaker who got her start as a beach lifeguard in Huntington Beach, Calif. At just 25 years old, Devyn has produced and created several award-winning films, including The Wave I Ride, and a short about Syrian Refugee Crisis, Lighthouse Molyvos, that’s coming out this summer.
Even though she’s young, Devyn has a lot of wisdom about the power of telling a story, and how you can tell your story now. She talks about the similarities between making films and lifeguarding – in many ways they can both save lives. She also shares tips on how to find stories, how to listen to your gut, and how to follow a film’s story so it resonates with a greater audience and takes on its own life.
Listen to this Episode if:
- You love documentaries.
- You’re a surfer or a lifeguard.
- You want to be a filmmaker.
- You are interested in telling important stories.
- You’re an artist, poet, or a rebel.
- You care about the Syrian refugee crisis and the world.
- You want to make a career doing what you love.
- 3:00 – The transition from lifeguarding to filmmaking.
- 4:25 – How Devyn became a lifeguard.
- 5:55 – Devyn wanted to do everything the boys were doing.
- 7:15 – Why surfing and documentary films go hand in hand.
- 8:30 – How storytelling saves lives.
- 11:30 – The film she made about parmesan cheese and Sikhs.
- 15:00 – Making a film about Big Wave Surf World Champ Paige Alms.
- 16:50 – The coolest part of making documentary films.
- 20:00 – The hardest part of making a feature length film.
- 22:05 – Why you have to let go of your stories.
- 23:20 – Why you should take breaks and get in touch with the creative process.
- 25:30 – How Devyn decided to cover the Syrian refugee crisis.
- 28:30 – What Devyn saw in Greece while she was covering the crisis.
- 32:30 – How to make a career doing what you’re love.
- 34:15 – How to get closer to your story.
- 36:00 – Devyn’s favorite part of filmmaking (hint: it helps you know you’re making the right decisions).
- 38:00 – What people don’t understand about millennials.
- 40:50 – Why Devyn has meetings with herself.
- 43:00 – Advice on not beating yourself up about how long your journey takes.