Chris McDougall is the author of the bestselling books Born to Run and Natural Born Heroes. The repeat guest has a new book, Running with Sherman that’s a must read if you like animals or just want to hear an amazing story about running with donkeys, human performance and so much more. A few years ago, Chris’ family adopted a donkey named Sherman who had been neglected by an animal hoarder. Their solution to getting Sherman happy and healthy was to give him a purpose and teach him how to burro race, a feat that became an amazing adventure in itself. The book is Chris McDougall’s most personal work, and explores the importance of purpose and community in how both animals and humans survive and thrive.
If you’re a pet owner, or you love animals, we get into why animals make such great companions. Chris has been a big mentor of mine and we have become good friends over the years. He’s an amazing storyteller with a wicked sense of humor, a massive thirst for knowledge and he pushes you to think beyond your own limits.
Listen to this episode if
- You’ve read Born to Run or Natural Born Heroes.
- You love animals or have pets.
- You want to learn more about Amish culture.
- You want to hear from a hilarious storyteller.
- You want to run faster and smarter.
- 1:00 – What happened when Chris’ family adopted a neglected donkey.
- 4:00 – How Chris got the idea to teach Sherman, his donkey, to run.
- 6:25 – Learning to use the power of persuasion.
- 8:10 – The importance of the herd mentality.
- 10:40 – Why animals need a purpose.
- 16:50 – How anyone can struggle with depression.
- 21:30 – Why animals bring out the best in people.
- 26:45 – Researching people who partner with animals.
- 33:05 – How you train for a donkey race.
Episodes to listen to
- Episode 46 – Chris McDougall – Writing Untold Stories About Running