Loveis Wise and Lisa Congdon are two visual artists who have turned their passion for art into amazing careers. Loveis Wise is a freelance illustrator and designer newly based in Los Angeles. In 2018, the now 24-year-old became the second black woman in 91 years to design a cover for New Yorker Magazine. Since then, Loveis has created another cover for the New Yorker and also worked with companies like The New York Times, Refinery29, REI, Buzzfeed News and more. In hearing her talk about her own artistic path, it is evident she takes inspiration from her own journey to overcome fear and her love of the outdoors, as well as her desire to showcase people from underrepresented communities through joyful illustrations.
Lisa Congdon got her start as a professional visual artist later in life than Loveis. The Portland-based artist has since worked with everyone from the MoMA to REI to Harvard University. She creates bright works of art with bold and often humorous messages that make anyone want to get out of their own way and do something big. Her personal journey of how she got started and made a career following her passion is a must-listen for anyone who wants to follow their creative instincts and explore a new path in life.
Listen to this episode if:
- You want to make it as an artist.
- You like joyful and inspirational art.
- You follow Loveis Wise and Lisa Congdon.
- You are a creative who wants to make a living following their passion.
- You want to start something new but think you are too old or too young.
- Your art or the art you love is inspired by nature and the outdoors.
3:10 – The radical joy of Loveis Wise’s art world.
7:35 – Loveis Wise’s relationship with nature.
10:00 – Loveis Wise uses art to reframe the relationship between her heritage and the outdoors.
13:25 – The importance of representation in art.
16:30 – How Loveis Wise landed tow New Yorker covers.
19:00 – How to make it as an artist according to Loveis.
24:30 – Inspiring people to get outdoors.
27:15 – How Lisa knows Loveis.
29:00 – Lisa Congdon’s journey to becoming a full-time artist after age 30.
35:00 – Lisa Congdon’s outdoor activity obsessions.
39:30 – What inspires Lisa Congdon.
42:25 – How the outdoors informs Lisa’s work.
47:40 – Advice Lisa Congdon gives on how to make it as an artist.
Episodes to listen to:
- Making It as a Musician with G. Love
- What to Cook While Camping with Brad Leone, Anna Brones and Brendan Leonard
- Living Off the Land with Rob Greenfield
- Mindfulness with John Allcock
- How to Unplug with Danny Kim