This vegan tofu scramble is a great way to enjoy a protein-packed breakfast. It pairs turmeric seasoned tofu with a savory potato, mushroom, spinach hash.
Tofu travels great in a cooler if you repackage it into your own resealable container. This way you only bring just what you need for your trip (probably not the entire block) and can drain some of the water off ahead of time. If you travel without a cooler, shelf-stable tofu is becoming more widely available throughout the country.
The potatoes take longer to cook than the tofu, so that’s where this recipe starts. The smaller you cube your potatoes the faster they’ll cook. With the potatoes prepped, add them to a warm skillet with a bit of oil. While they’re cooking, de-stem and quarter some white mushrooms and add them after. A sliced shallot also adds a nice oniony/garlicky flavor.
When the potatoes and mushrooms nearly done, push them to the side, add a little more oil, and crumble in your tofu. Add the turmeric, scramble. Add the nutritional yeast, scramble. Add the salt and pepper, scramble. It’s important to scramble between each step so the seasons evenly distribute. Nobody wants to bite into a pocket of straight turmeric.
The last step is to place a few handfuls of spinach on top and stir into the combine. The stem with the hash with cook the spinach down to a fraction of the size, so don’t be afraid to put a bunch on to start with.
And that’s it! Hearty potatoes, savory mushrooms, leafy greens, and wonderfully seasoned tofu. It’s a stellar breakfast skillet that might just give eggs & bacon a run for its money.
Turmeric Breakfast Scramble
Serves 2 // 20 minutes // Vegan
2 tablespoons oil, divided
3 small potatoes
1 small shallot
2 cups spinach
5 oz tofu, pat dry with a paper towel
¼ teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
¼ teaspoon salt
Pinch black pepper
- Chop the potatoes into ¼” cubes. Quarter the mushrooms. Slice the shallot into half-moons.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the potatoes and cook until beginning to soften and turn brown, about 7 minutes. Add the mushrooms and shallots and cook 3 minutes, until the mushrooms begin to brown and the shallots soften. Move to one side of the pan.
- Add another tablespoon of oil if needed. Crumble the tofu into the pan and toss with the oil. Dust the turmeric and nutritional yeast over the tofu, then saute 4 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the pan, then toss with the other scramble ingredients until wilted.
- Season with salt & pepper. Enjoy!