As a young boy, Joel Van der Loon grew up in South Africa and Tanzania, and has always
been somewhat of a “wild child.” He and his dad grew up in a remote area of Africa, where he learned from the Massai, then sailed around the world, and lived a life very connected to animals and the untrammeled outdoors.
Find out about the lessons Joel’s learned from the Massai tribe, his cultural shock in moving to the United States, what survival skills you need NOW, and why major TV networks want Joel to show the world his survival skills. Also, hear about his terrifying encounter with a very wild animal and why understanding animals is so rewarding.
The Deep Dive
- 01:55 – Joel’s job as a survival training expert and what the “Bush” means.
- 03:00 – Where Joel’s sexy accent come from.
- 05:25 – Survival skills Joel teaches and that you should know.
- 06:35 – Why Joel does what he does.
- 07:40 – Adventures Joel’s taken with his dad seeking treasures off the coast.
- 10:05 – Joel’s culture shock walking into a McDonald’s.
- 12:35 – Favorite lessons Joel’s learned from the Massai tribe.
- 14:45 – The Massai will live their life with basically nothing. For this, they are often mocked by the local Swahili people.
- 15:45 – Listen to Joel’s terrifying encounter with an animal.
- 21:20 – The four survival skills you need to know now.
- 22:30 – Have we gotten too soft as humans?
- 24:15 – Joel’s big aha moment when it came to starting his own business.
- 26:00 – What Joel’s learned from being a wilderness guide.
- 30:55 – Joel’s recommendations for the most essential items to have in the wild?
- 35:45 – How soon Joel will give his currently unborn child a knife.
- 36:25 – What Joel things a book about talking to birds is the best book.
- 37:45 – Follow your passion.
- 39:55 – Intimidated by doing a survival course? Don’t be!