Chris Burkard’s Wild Idea: To become an adventure photographer.
Wanting to discover the best photographs in nature, Chris Burkard decided to go to the most remote and raw of places. While he was well on his way to become a leading surf photographer, spending most of his time in tropical water, Chris wanted to go to places that were a little more untrammeled by man. He knew a little sacrifice, just might yield amazing results and photos.
Listen to this Episode if:
- You want to be an adventure or nature photographer.
- You want to find a deeper connection to nature.
- You want to know how to balance family and travel.
- You want to learn tips on how to become a successful photographer.
- You have ever seen one of Chris Burkard’s stunning photos.
- You just want to listen to a great storyteller.
- 03:15 – Tricks to finding balance and having it all with a family, a sense of community, and travel adventure.
- 04:50 – How to communicate when away for weeks.
- 06:35 – Chris’s routines and hobbies, including yoga and the practice of breathing.
- 09:35 – Cold water surfing.
- 11:20 – The gains discovered through sacrifice.
- 12:25 – The psychology of pain.
- 14:05 – How Chris shot an award-winning photo.
- 15:50 – Photography tricks, and how to shoot human subjects.
- 19:55 – Shooting with an iPhone.
- 21:50 – How to make real money as a photographer.
- 25:30 – What it takes to be successful.
- 28:00 – How to create a Ted Talk and convey one kernel of truth to offer the world.
- 30:45 – Chris Burkard’s unique perspective on protecting the environment.
- 32:00 – Chris Burkard’s current fun in the ocean.
- 34:00 – Chris Burkard’s favorite place.
- 35:25 – Tricks and tips for packing gear for trips.
- 39:40 – Chris’s advice to his 15-year-old self.
- 41:20 – Chris’s mantra.
- 42:00 – Failure, i.e., jailed in Russia.
- 43:25 – Being surrounded by good people, and looking for those who share the same vision.
- 44:25 – Creating a children’s book.
- 47:00 – What’s next for Chris?