It only takes a little bit of planning, a camping recipe, a cast iron pan, simple ingredients and an appetite for good food to make a night at camp complete.
Car Camping Tiramisu
• Instant vanilla pudding mix (3.4 oz)
• 3 cups cold water
• 1 cup powdered milk
• 1 packet (2 tsp) instant coffee
• 1 mini-bottle (4 oz) coffee liqueur
• Angel food cake
• Dark chocolate
• Chocolate syrup
1. Prepare the pudding: whisk together pudding mix, water, and powdered milk in a large bowl. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
2. Prepare the coffee mixture: stir together instant coffee and coffee liqueur.
3. Spread a layer of pudding onto a baking dish or bowl. Next, add a layer of angel food cake.
Pour coffee mixture over the cake. Repeat pudding, cake, and coffee layers. Finish by topping
with pudding and dark chocolate shavings.
4. Serve with chocolate syrup.
• 1 lb pork loin
• 1 lb spicy Italian sausage (removed from casing)
• 1 onion
• 1 jalapeño
• 3 tbsp chili powder
• 1 tbsp cumin
• 2 tsp dried oregano
• 1 cup cilantro
• 1 (15 oz) can black beans
• 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
• 2 cups water
• 2 tbsp olive oive
1. Cut the pork loin into bite-sized pieces. Dice the onion and the jalapeño. Chop the cilantro
(leaves and stems). Rinse the black beans.
2. In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat until shiny. Add pork loin and
Italian sausage. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until browned.
3. Add onion, jalapeño, chili powder, cumin, and oregano to the pot. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring
4. Add black beans, water, tomatoes, and half of the cilantro. Season with salt and stir to
combine. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to low (leaving the chili covered) and cook for 3 to 6 hours, until chili is reduced.
6. Garnish with remaining cilantro and toppings of your choice.
Note: To serve immediately: omit water from step 4 and cook for 10 minutes on medium while covered.
Sweet Potato BBQ Burger
• 1 (15 oz) can white beans
• 1 medium sweet potato (grated)
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 cup breadcrumbs
• 1 tbsp chili powder
• 1 tsp cumin
• ½ tsp coriander
• ½ tsp garlic powder
• ½ tsp salt
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 4 hamburger buns
• Toppings of your choice
BBQ Sauce Ingredients
• 1.5 cups ketchup
• ¼ cup mustard
• 1/3 cup brown sugar
• pinch of salt
1. In a large bowl, combine beans, sweet potato, egg, breadcrumbs, chili powder, cumin,
coriander, garlic powder, and salt.
2. Using your hands, form ¼ of the mixture into a ball and then flatten into a patty. Form 4 patties
3. In a skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add patties and cook 4-5 minutes on each side, until
4. While burgers cook, combine ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, and salt in a bowl to make bbq
5. Toast hamburger buns if desired. Assemble sweet potato burgers and top with bbq sauce and
toppings of your choice
Spicy Camp Mac & Cheese
• 3 tbsp butter
• 2 tbsp grated parmesan
• ¼ cup breadcrumbs
• ¼ cup flour
• 3 cups milk
• 2 cups elbow macaroni
• ½ tsp dry mustard
• 2 cups shredded cheese of your choice (we used cheddar)
• 2 jalapeños (or to taste)
• Hot sauce to taste (we used Sriracha)
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and parmesan.
2. In a large skillet, melt butter. Remove one tsp and stir into breadcrumb mixture.
3. Once butter is melted, whisk in flour and milk. Add pasta and cook according to package
directions until al dente.
4. Remove the skillet from heat and stir in mustard, cheese, jalapeños, salt, and pepper. Top with breadcrumb mixture and hot sauce.
Looking to update your car camping kitchen? Click here to learn how to build your own camp kitchen Chuck Box.