Recipe: Pie Iron Breakfast Tacos
Submitted by: Amy
Hometown: Castle Rock, WA
What do you love about this recipe? I love this recipe for three reasons: Breakfast is my favorite food group, everything tastes better toasted, and a pie iron is not only small enough to haul around when you’re car camping, but it also makes your camp food look like you worked harder than you actually did.
- 5 soft scrambled eggs
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 oz. package taco seasoning mix
- 5-inch tortillas (12)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- Garnish: shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, black olives, salsa, and sour cream
- Add ground beef or any other meat if you desire
- Soft scramble the eggs on a stove top or over the fire.
- Warm beans over the stove or fire in a pan and stir in the taco mix.
- Use cooking spray or butter to generously coat the pie iron.
- Lay one tortilla on the bottom of the pie iron.
- Spoon in the soft scrambled eggs, beans, cheese and onion to desired amount.
- Add a second tortilla over the filling and secure the pie iron. (Tip: Some people choose to butter the tortilla on the pie iron side.)
- Cook over coals until tortilla is a dark golden brown.
- Carefully open the pie iron to check the consistency.
- When finished, add your desired garnish and enjoy!
Do you have an extra unique camp recipe? What makes your camp recipe a stand out? Have you found ways to take complicated recipes and simplify them for the outdoors? Do you have a family favorite that has been passed down through generations? Challenge our hosts to reproduce it and get our community inspired to try it!
Ingredients and instructions:
Why you love this recipe:
When you last made it and where:
Submit your recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org!
There are no prizes, but if we decide to use your recipe, you agree that we can use your name, hometown and any of the other information you provide without restriction to say more about you and your recipe, why you love it and when and where you last made it.