Recipe 1: Grab Bag Bites
Submitted by: Brenda
Hometown: Anchorage, AK
What do you love about this recipe? Let’s be honest: plain trail mix gets so boring. I love this recipe because you can modify it to your likeness. Don’t like peanuts? Don’t add ‘em. Want a 9 to 10 ratio of chocolate? Do it. These snack bites are great for the trail, long road trips, or just trying to make it to lunchtime at work. They’re loaded with protein and free of gluten.
- 3/4 cup natural peanut or almond butter
- 1/4 cup honey (can sub maple syrup)
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup each: sunflower seeds (or pumpkin seeds), raisins, chopped walnuts, and chopped peanuts or almonds
- 1/4 cup regular chocolate chips (or white chocolate chips!)
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Form contents into palm sized balls and store. Take them out and enjoy them on the trail and if you have left over when you’re done camping, they freeze great!
Recipe 2: Spiked Mexican Hot Chocolate
(Also featured in this episode)
- 2 packets of your favorite instant hot cocoa mix
- 2 cups of water or milk
- 4 ounces of tequila
- Cinnamon and cayenne
- Heat water or milk to a boil.
- Pour a hot cocoa mix into each mug, and add in half of the hot water or milk into each and stir.
- Add tequila (to taste ; )
- Sprinkle cinnamon and cayenne on top (to taste ; )
- Enjoy in your favorite insulated mug!
Do you have an extra unique camp recipe? What makes your camp recipe a stand out? Have you found ways to take complicated recipes and simplify them for the outdoors? Do you have a family favorite that has been passed down through generations? Challenge our hosts to reproduce it and get our community inspired to try it!
Ingredients and instructions:
Why you love this recipe:
When you last made it and where:
Submit your recipes to email@example.com!
There are no prizes, but if we decide to use your recipe, you agree that we can use your name, hometown and any of the other information you provide without restriction to say more about you and your recipe, why you love it and when and where you last made it.