Recipe: Vegetarian BBQ Mushroom Sandwich
Submitted by: Abby
Hometown: Pasadena, TX
What do you love about this recipe?: My boyfriend and I love this recipe for its taste and versatility. You can easily replace the kale with cabbage or other ingredients, and you can mix up the mushroom variety depending on your budget. The ingredients also keep very well on a camping trip!
Vegetarian BBQ Mushroom Sandwich
- 1 ½ pounds mushrooms (variety depends on season and taste, we used portabellas)
- 1 head kale or cabbage (we like lacinato kale, but red cabbage would be a good substitute)
- 2-3 grated carrots
- 1 red onion
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 4 buns or rolls
- Heat up the grill over the fire for 20 minutes until hot, coat with olive oil and add the Portobello mushrooms and cook for about 20 minutes
- Remove mushrooms and let the mushrooms cool then cut into slices
- Add mushrooms, oil and BBQ sauce in a saucepan on the grill for 5-7 minutes until the sauce starts to caramelize a bit
- Thinly slice the kale, onion and grate the carrot
- Mix the apple cider vinegar, mayo and a bit of salt and pepper in a bowl
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl to finalize slaw
Toast the buns on the grill and add mushrooms and slaw to taste!
Do you have an extra unique camp recipe? What makes your camp recipe a stand out? Have you found ways to take complicated recipes and simplify them for the outdoors? Do you have a family favorite that has been passed down through generations? Challenge our hosts to reproduce it and get our community inspired to try it!
Ingredients and instructions:
Why you love this recipe:
When you last made it and where:
Submit your recipes to email@example.com!
There are no prizes, but if we decide to use your recipe, you agree that we can use your name, hometown and any of the other information you provide without restriction to say more about you and your recipe, why you love it and when and where you last made it.