REI Co-op opens new store in Grand Rapids, Michigan on May 17, invests $20,000 in local outdoor community
Co-op’s first location in Western Michigan will offer top-quality outdoor gear, expertise and experiences
May 8, 2019
SEATTLE – REI Co-op will officially open its new store in Grand Rapids, Michigan on May 17. The new , 20,000-square-foot store at Woodland Mall will bring quality outdoor gear, ex periences and expertise to Western Michigan. REI Grand Rapids will also offer a specialty bike sho p for maintenance and repairs, as well as personal outfitting services that allow customers to connect with REI experts to get the gear they need for their next adventure.
To celebrate the new store, REI is investing a total of $20,000 in three local outdoor nonprofits: North Country Trail Association , Urban Roots and the Land Conservancy of West Michigan . Funds will support volunteer and stewardship efforts around Western Michigan. In addition, REI is supporting the Outdoor Foundation’s Thrive Outside community initiative , designed to make the outdoors a habit for kids and families of all backgrounds. In Grand Rapids , this work will support a comprehensive outdoor program for local youth to connect with nature, play outdoors, and serve as leaders in neighborhood and park projects that engage families and children.
- Shop early, get rewards: The first 250 people (age 18 and up) through the door on Friday, Saturday and Sunday will receive a limited-edition water bottle with a $10, $50 or $100 REI gift card inside. Doors open at 10 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, and 11 a.m. on Sunday.
- Afternoon social: Starting at 3 p.m. each day, REI Grand Rapids will host a party in the parking lot with free food, music and games. Vendors will also be onsite offering exclusive giveaways and demonstrations. Events end at 6 p.m. each day.
- Address: 3149 28th Street Southeast in Kentwood
- Square footage: 20,000 square feet
- Special features: Bike shop; community room for nonprofits
- Number of employees: 60
- REI Co-op membership: Over 360,000 lifetime members
REI is a specialty outdoor retailer, headquartered near Seattle. The nation’s largest consumer co-op, REI is a growing community of more than 19 million members who expect and love the best quality gear, inspiring expert classes and trips, and outstanding customer service. REI has 167 locations in 39 states and the District of Columbia. If you can’t visit a store, you can shop at REI.com, REI Outlet or the REI shopping app. REI isn’t just about gear. Adventurers can take the trip of a lifetime with REI’s active adventure travel company, a global leader that runs more than 250 itineraries across all continents. In every community where REI has a presence, professionally trained instructors share their expertise by hosting beginner-to advanced-level classes and workshops about a wide range of activities. To build on the infrastructure that makes life outside possible, REI invests millions annually in hundreds of local and national nonprofits that create access to—and steward—the outdoor places that inspire us all.