Recipe: Pie Iron Breakfast Tacos
Submitted by: Amy
Hometown: Castle Rock, Washington
What do you love about this recipe? I love this recipe for three reasons: Breakfast is my favorite food group, everything tastes better toasted, and a pie iron is not only small enough to haul around when you’re car camping, but it also makes your camp food look like you worked harder than you actually did.
- 5 soft scrambled eggs
- 1 can of black beans
- 1-oz. package taco seasoning mix
- 5-inch tortillas (12)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- Garnish: shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, black olives, salsa and sour cream
- Add ground beef or any other meat if you desire
- Soft scramble the eggs on a stove top or over the fire.
- Warm beans over the stove or fire in a pan and stir in the taco mix.
- Use cooking spray or butter to generously coat the pie iron.
- Lay one tortilla on the bottom of the pie iron.
- Spoon in the soft scrambled eggs, beans, cheese and onion to desired amount.
- Add a second tortilla over the filling and secure the pie iron. (Tip: Some people choose to butter the tortilla on the pie iron side.)
- Cook over coals until tortilla is a dark golden brown.
- Carefully open the pie iron to check the consistency.
- When finished, add your desired garnish and enjoy!