REI Co-op opens new store in Memphis on August 24, invests $20,000 in local outdoor community
New store will offer top quality gear, expertise and outdoor experiences
Aug 14, 2018
SEATTLE – Outdoor co-op REI will be officially open for business in Memphis at Ridgeway Trace on Aug. 24. The new 23,000 square-foot store will offer a wide assortment of quality outdoor gear, experiences and expertise, as well as a full-service bike shop. REI Memphis is conveniently located near the Mississippi River and Shelby Farms Park, one of the largest urban parks in the country.
“People in Memphis love the outdoors, whether it’s biking, paddling or camping,” said Annelise Danielson, REI Memphis store manager. “We are excited to join this community and help connect people in Memphis to a life outdoors. We’ll offer the best gear for the activities they already love, and in-store workshops for those who want to try something new.”
Starting in September, REI Memphis will offer in-store workshops to connect people to a life outdoors. Upcoming programming includes Camping Basics, Backpacking Basics and Women’s Kayaking Basics. A national leader in outdoor experiences, more than 375,000 people across the country joined REI last year to get outside.
REI Memphis is celebrating the new store with free public activities, events and giveaways throughout the weekend.
- Enjoy free food and activities: Starting at 8 a.m. on Friday, Saturday, and 9 a.m. on Sunday, REI Memphis will host a party in the parking lot with free breakfast, music, games and REI Outdoor School programs. Vendors will also be on site offering exclusive giveaways and demonstrations. Events end at noon each day.
- Shop early, get rewards: The first 250 people (age 18 and up) through the door on Friday, Saturday and Sunday will receive a limited-edition water bottle with a $10, $50 or $100 REI gift card inside. Doors open at 10 a.m. on Friday, 9 a.m. on Saturday, and 11 a.m. on Sunday.
- Local partnerships: REI is partnering with local Ghost River Brewing on a limited-edition India pale ale, “Happy Herd IPA.” Together, REI and Ghost River Brewing are donating 10 percent of beer sales to Shelby Farms Park Conservancy, which has a buffalo herd on site. Learn more about the partnership here.
To celebrate the new store, REI is investing $20,000 in three Memphis nonprofits: the Wolf River Conservancy, Overton Park Conservancy, and Shelby Farms Park Conservancy. Funds will support trail restoration and improvements in the local area.
Since 2002, REI has donated over $500,000 in Tennessee to support efforts to maintain local trails and create access to outdoor recreation. This year, REI has doubled its presence in Tennessee, with locations in Chattanooga (opened May 2018), Knoxville (opened 2014) and Brentwood (opened 1999).
- Address: 5897 Poplar Avenue, just off Interstate 240, in the Ridgeway Trace Center
- Square footage: 23,000 square feet
- Grand Opening date: August 24-26
- Special features: Bike shop
- Number of employees: 50
About the REI Co-op
REI is a specialty outdoor retailer, headquartered near Seattle. The nation’s largest consumer co-op, REI is a growing community of 21.5 million members who expect and love the best quality gear, inspiring expert classes and trips, and outstanding customer service. REI has 179 locations in 42 states and the District of Columbia. If you can’t visit a store, you can shop at REI.com, REI Outlet or the REI shopping app. REI isn’t just about gear. Adventurers can take the trip of a lifetime with REI’s active adventure travel company that runs more than 100 itineraries across the country. In many communities where REI has a presence, professionally trained instructors share their expertise by hosting beginner-to advanced-level classes and workshops about a wide range of activities. To build on the infrastructure that makes life outside possible, REI invests millions annually in hundreds of local and national nonprofits that create access to—and steward—the outdoor places that inspire us all.