REI Co-op opens new store in Kalispell, Montana on Nov. 9, invests $20,000 in local outdoor community
Outdoor co-op’s third store in Montana will offer quality outdoor gear and experiences
Nov 7, 2018
SEATTLE – Outdoor co-op REI will open its new store in Kalispell, Montana on Nov. 9 at the Spring Prairie Commons shopping center on Nov. 9. Known as the gateway to Glacier National Park, REI Kalispell will carry top quality gear for the region’s most popular outdoor activities, including hiking, mountain biking, and a specialty ski and snowboard shop. REI Kalispell is located at the southwest corner of Old Reserve Drive and U.S. Highway 93.
“With all of the opportunities for outdoor recreation, we are beyond excited to open our doors in Kalispell,” said Molly Mitka, REI Kalispell store manager. “From skiing to biking to camping and hiking, we’ll offer the best outdoor gear for year-round adventures in the Flathead Valley.”
REI Kalispell will also offer workshops to connect people to a life outdoors. A national leader in outdoor experiences, REI helped more than 375,000 people across the country get outside through classes and events last year.
To celebrate the new store, REI is investing a total of $20,000 in four local outdoor nonprofits: the Glacier National Park Conservancy, Whitefish Legacy Partners, Montana Conservation Corps and Montana Wilderness Association. Funds will support volunteer and stewardship efforts in Kalispell and the surrounding area.
REI Kalispell is hosting a grand opening event with free public activities and giveaways throughout the weekend:
- Shop early, get rewards: The first 250 people (age 18 and up) through the door on Friday, Saturday and Sunday will receive a limited-edition water bottle with a $10, $50 or $100 REI gift card inside. Doors open at 9 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, and 10 a.m. on Sunday.
- Outdoor social: Starting at 3 p.m. on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, REI Kalispell will host a party in the parking lot with free food, music, and games. Vendors will also be on site offering exclusive giveaways and demonstrations. Events end at 6 p.m. each day.
- Local partnerships: REI is partnering with local Flathead Lake Brewing on “Piste de Resistance,” a limited-edition Saison. Together, REI and Flathead Lake Brewing are donating 10 percent of beer sales to Friends of the Flathead Avalanche Center, which provides avalanche education for the growing community of backcountry users in the region.
REI annually gives back nearly 70 percent of its profits to the outdoor community, and this year is investing $8.8 million in over 400 nonprofits to steward more than 1,000 outdoor spaces across the country. This includes $45,000 for additional organizations in Montana that are dedicated to stewarding and maintaining local trails.
With more than 125,000 REI members in the state, REI Kalispell marks the co-op’s third location in Montana, joining other stores in Missoula (opened 2000), and Bozeman (opened 2010).
- Address: 2270 Highway 93 North
- Square footage: 20,000 square feet
- Specialty ski and snowboard shop
- Employees: 53
- Members: Over 125,000 in Montana, learn more at REI.com/membership
About the REI Co-op
REI is a specialty outdoor retailer, headquartered near Seattle. The nation’s largest consumer co-op, REI is a growing community of 23 million members who expect and love the best quality gear, inspiring expert classes and trips, and outstanding customer service. If you can’t visit one of our many stores, you can shop at REI.com, REI Outlet or the REI shopping app. Everyone is welcome to shop REI, but members who join the co-op enjoy a range of benefits. More than a retailer, REI is a purpose-driven and values-led company dedicated to enabling life outside for all.