REI Co-op opens new store in Cleveland on June 22, invests $20,000 in local outdoor community
New store offers top-quality outdoor gear; full-service bike, ski and snowboard shop; and guided outdoor experiences with REI Outdoor School
Jun 20, 2018
SEATTLE – Outdoor co-op REI will be officially open for business in Cleveland at the Pinecrest development on June 22. The new 27,000-square-foot store will offer a wide assortment of quality outdoor gear, experiences and expertise, as well as a full-service bike, ski and snowboard shop. With quick access to Interstate 271, REI Cleveland will connect members to the area’s first class outdoor destinations like Lake Erie, the 100-year-old Cleveland Metroparks, and Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
“Cleveland is home to more than 13,000 active REI members,” said Ethan Sheets, REI Cleveland store manager. “We’re proud to be a part of this large and vibrant outdoor community.”
REI Cleveland will be home to REI Outdoor School, offering classes to educate and inspire outdoor experiences. REI Outdoor School is a national leader in outdoor education, teaching more than 375,000 people across the country last year how to bike, camp and other outdoor skills. Members and customers can also enjoy low-cost maintenance and repairs at REI Cleveland’s bike, ski and snowboard shops.
The store opens at 10 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, and 11 a.m. on Sunday. REI is celebrating the new store in a number of ways including free activities, events and giveaways throughout the weekend, open to the public:
- Enjoy free food and activities: Starting at 8 a.m. on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, REI Cleveland will host a party in the parking lot with free breakfast, music, games and REI Outdoor School classes. Vendors will also be on site until noon, with exclusive giveaways and demonstrations.
- Shop early, get rewards: Each day, the first 250 people (age 18 and up) in-store will receive a limited-edition water bottle and an REI gift card, ranging from $5 to $100. Doors open at 10 a.m.
- Community investment: To celebrate the new store, REI invested a total of $20,000 in two Cleveland nonprofits dedicated to stewarding local outdoor spaces: Cleveland Area Mountain Bike Association and Buckeye Trail Association.
In 2017, REI donated $60,000 to the local outdoor community in Ohio. REI has longstanding partnerships with Riverfront Recapture, Ragged Mountain Foundation and Appalachian Mountain Club. With more than 96,000 members in the state, REI also has stores in Cincinnati (opened 2012) and two locations in Columbus (both opened 2014).
- Address: 411 Park Avenue, Suite 143, Beachwood, OH
- 27,000 square-feet
- Specialty bike, ski and snowboard shop
- REI Outdoor School classes
- Over 13,000 active REI members in Cleveland
- 58 employees
REI is a specialty outdoor retailer, headquartered near Seattle. The nation’s largest consumer co-op, REI is a growing community of more than 20 million members who expect and love the best quality gear, inspiring expert classes and trips, and outstanding customer service. REI has 171 locations in 39 states and the District of Columbia. If you can’t visit a store, you can shop at REI.com, REI Outlet or the REI shopping app. REI isn’t just about gear. Adventurers can take the trip of a lifetime with REI’s active adventure travel company that runs more than 100 itineraries across the country. In many communities where REI has a presence, professionally trained instructors share their expertise by hosting beginner-to advanced-level classes and workshops about a wide range of activities. To build on the infrastructure that makes life outside possible, REI invests millions annually in hundreds of local and national nonprofits that create access to—and steward—the outdoor places that inspire us all.