REI Co-op officially opens new location in Midtown Mall in Anchorage on March 22
New, remodeled space offers expanded layout and direct access to the Seward Highway for adventurers heading to Denali National Park and the Kenai Peninsula
Mar 13, 2019
SEATTLE – REI Co-op will officially open its new location in Anchorage on March 22 at the Midtown Mall. The new 50,000 square-foot space offers one of the largest product assortments of any REI location, carrying everything from roof racks to skis to camping and climbing gear. REI Anchorage also offers expansive gear rentals and direct access to the Seward Highway for outdoor adventurers on their way to Denali National Park and the Kenai Peninsula.
“Our new location is a space where our members can gather and plan their next big adventure, learn more about our nonprofit partners and get the gear they need quickly and efficiently,” said Mike Herzog, REI Anchorage store manager. “With an open layout, we can display more product and allow our staff to spend more time helping members and customers get outside.”
REI Anchorage offers in-store workshops and outdoor experiences. Upcoming day programs include Bike Chains and Derailleurs Workshop, Alaska Bear Awareness, and Audubon Alaska - Birding Basics, among others. A national leader in outdoor experiences, REI helped more than 350,000 people across the country get outside through day programming last year. REI also offers multiday trips, with six adventures in Alaska, including Alaska Hiking – Kenai to Denali and Alaska Hiking Plus – Wrangell-St. Elias.
REI Anchorage is hosting a grand opening event with free public activities and giveaways March 22-24.
- Shop early, get rewards: The first 250 people (age 18 and up) through the door on Friday and Saturday will receive a limited-edition water bottle with a $10, $50 or $100 REI gift card inside. Doors open at 10 a.m. each day.
- Afternoon social: Starting at 3 p.m. each day, REI Anchorage will host a party in the parking lot with free food and games. Vendors will also be onsite offering exclusive giveaways and demonstrations. Events end at 6 p.m. each day.
REI has been part of the Anchorage community for over 40 years, first opening a catalog store in Spenard in 1979. REI stewardship grants helped build the Flattop Mountain Trail, expand the city’s bike trail system and make the Spenard neighborhood more bike and pedestrian-friendly. In addition, REI has longstanding partnerships with the Eagle River Nature Center, Alaska Singletrack Advocates and Alaska Geographic. In 2018, REI invested a total of $60,000 in the Alaska outdoor community.
- New location: Midtown Mall at 500 E. Northern Lights Boulevard. REI occupies the former Carrs-Safeway location.
- Square footage: 50,000 square feet
- Special features: Bike, ski and snowboard shop; gear rentals; indoor parking for bikes; pocket park; community room for nonprofits
- REI members in Alaska: Over 218,000 lifetime members
REI is a specialty outdoor retailer, headquartered near Seattle. The nation’s largest consumer co-op, REI is a growing community of 21.5 million members who expect and love the best quality gear, inspiring expert classes and trips, and outstanding customer service. REI has 177 locations in 41 states and the District of Columbia. If you can’t visit a store, you can shop at REI.com, REI Outlet or the REI shopping app. REI isn’t just about gear. Adventurers can take the trip of a lifetime with REI’s active adventure travel company that runs more than 100 itineraries across the country. In many communities where REI has a presence, professionally trained instructors share their expertise by hosting beginner-to advanced-level classes and workshops about a wide range of activities. To build on the infrastructure that makes life outside possible, REI invests millions annually in hundreds of local and national nonprofits that create access to—and steward—the outdoor places that inspire us all.