#OptOutside Reaches 1 Million People and Doubles Partner Organizations from 2015
Less than two weeks after announcing #OptOutside, more than 365 organizations and more than 1 million people have joined REI in choosing to #OptOutside on Black Friday.
Nov 7, 2016
SEATTLE – Less than two weeks after announcing #OptOutside, more than 365 organizations and more than 1 million people have joined REI in choosing to #OptOutside on Black Friday. The response more than doubles the number of partners involved in 2015, and includes national and local organizations encouraging their members to #OptOutside or hosting outdoor activities for people to choose trails over sales on Black Friday.
“#OptOutside has provided the outdoor community and our nonprofit partners an incredible platform to share the transformative power of the outdoors. The response it’s received in its second year is a powerful reminder of how this idea connects with people at an individual and emotional level,” said Jerry Stritzke, REI CEO and president.
#OptOutside partner highlights include:
- Scores of parks and nonprofits partners are opening outdoor spaces for free, including all state parks in Colorado, Delaware, Kansas and Minnesota.
- The National Interscholastic Cycling Association is encouraging all 10,000 student athletes and 4,000 coaches to take over 600 teams across the country out on rides on Black Friday.
- Nonprofits like the Washington Trails Association with deep ties to local outdoors spaces are hosting volunteer work parties to steward trails.
- The Massachusetts Audubon Society is leading bird enthusiasts through sanctuaries across the state on Black Friday and the day after, and for bird lovers in Michigan, the Huron-Clinton Metromarks are hosting an “Owl Prowl” on November 25.
- Downhill skiers, snow shoe enthusiasts and fat bike riders in Washington can enjoy Methow Trails in Winthrop Washington for free on Black Friday.
- The Greenway Foundation in Denver will take elementary school students to the South Platte River for educational field trips all month leading up to Thanksgiving week.
- Girl Trek is organizing 100 “Family 5K” walks across the country designed to get families moving, complete with race bibs and t-shirts.