REI Co-op announces Flash and Traverse hiking footwear
New designs made for durability, comfort and a lighter impact on the planet
Mar 12, 2021
REI Co-op Brands, the outdoor retailer's performance gear and apparel label, introduces two new footwear lines. The Traverse is a comfortable, stable boot, while the Flash is a flexible hiking shoe designed to provide the comfort of a trail runner with added support. Although REI has partnered with footwear brands in the past, this is the co-op’s first-ever footwear line designed in-house, using materials and technologies that uphold REI’s ongoing commitment to sustainability.
“Always inspired by the co-op community, our in-house design team set out on a journey to determine what members were looking for in a hiking boot they did not already have access to,” said Bennett Grimes, REI Co-op product manager for footwear. "After interviewing over 6,000 people, the answer was clear: they wanted a comfortable, supportive boot (the Traverse), and a hybrid between that boot and a trail runner, offering lighter weight while maintaining support (the Flash).”
Both Traverse and Flash footwear styles feature some of the most sustainable materials available while offering the quality and hiking support REI Co-op members expect. Six design technologies give these boots one of the lightest footprints on the planet.
- HydroWall™ waterproofing: Uses 75 percent recycled polyester for waterproofing that keeps feet dry even when the trail ahead is not.
- TerraLoft™ Cushion: Uses 10 percent algae-based BLOOM™ to cradle and protect, providing a cushioning system that feels like your favorite trail runner.
- TerraGrip™ Tread: Anti-slip grip made with 20 percent recycled rubber gets you off the beaten path whatever the terrain—hard, soft, craggy, or slick.
- FirmaKnit™ Uppers: Made from 99 percent recycled plastic bottles, it is both strong and sock-like, allows hikers to get after the trail in lightweight, durable comfort with little to no break-in needed.
- Mid-foot Cradle Support: 100 percent recycled PET webbing and laces create a mid-foot cradle system that allows for a highly adjustable and locked-down fit.
- TrailBed™ Insole: Insite® Contoura® technology created with podiatrists to ensure support and comfort; plus, it’s made with 25 percent USDA-certified bio-based Susterra® compound.
These boots were reviewed by a community of testers who spent over two thousand hours and hundreds of miles in them to ensure they delivered what our members wanted. The new Flash Hiking Boots and Traverse Hiking Boots are available in a variety of colors on rei.com and in REI Co-op stores nationwide for $130 and $150, respectively.
REI is a specialty outdoor retailer, headquartered near Seattle. The nation’s largest consumer co-op, REI is a growing community of more than 20 million members who expect and love the best quality gear, inspiring expert classes and trips, and outstanding customer service. REI has 168 locations in 39 states and the District of Columbia. If you can’t visit a store, you can shop at REI.com, REI Outlet or the REI shopping app. REI isn’t just about gear. Adventurers can take the trip of a lifetime with REI’s active adventure travel company that runs more than 100 itineraries across the country. In many communities where REI has a presence, professionally trained instructors share their expertise by hosting beginner-to advanced-level classes and workshops about a wide range of activities. To build on the infrastructure that makes life outside possible, REI invests millions annually in hundreds of local and national nonprofits that create access to—and steward—the outdoor places that inspire us all.