REI Co-op kicks off its Anniversary Sale and calls for member stories to help celebrate its 82-year history
Annual event offers thousands of outdoor products on sale to thank the co-op community
May 18, 2020
SEATTLE – REI Co-op’s popular Anniversary Sale is here to celebrate the co-op’s 82 years. To mark the occasion, REI has invited its members to share in telling the co-op community’s rich history by uploading a favorite outdoor photo and story on social media using the #REIMember hashtag. REI will select and share 82 member stories during the sale that runs May 15–25 and will offer discounts on thousands of outdoor products that help people get outside to hike, run, paddle, cycle, climb or camp.
“The Anniversary Sale is a celebration of what it means to be a co-op. It’s the time every year when we reflect on our founding story, and the millions of people who make the co-op the special place it is – and thank them with deals on some of their favorite outdoor gear,” said Vivienne Long, REI’s vice president of marketing. “Over the past few months, we’ve seen more interest than usual in cycling, running, hiking and camping gear. We’ll have many of those types of items on sale to help people stay active during these unprecedented times, and beyond.”
The co-op began in 1938, when a group of 23 climbing friends came together in search of a better ice ax. For nearly four decades REI had a single retail location - moving from a garage, to a shelf in a gas station, to its first store in Seattle’s Capitol Hill. Today, the co-op is more than 19 million members strong, with 162 retail locations across the country. REI is inviting those members to read about how two brothers (members since 1968) reprised a hike across the North Cascades – 50 years later – and then share their own stories.
Anniversary sale and member deals include:
- REI Co-op’s biggest sale of the year: thousands of outdoor products on sale across categories.
- REI Co-op's online catalog: Provides an overview of deals on bikes, tents, footwear, backpacks, camping gear, electronics, picnicking gear, outerwear, and more. Also includes “peak deals” (up to 50 percent off), while supplies last, for in-demand gear.
- Member deals: although anyone can shop at the co-op, members will also receive an additional 20 percent off coupon for one full-price item, and 20 percent off one REI Outlet item.
- The Anniversary Sale is also a great time to become a member or purchase a membership for a friend or another family member.
- Customers who buy an REI Membership and spend $100 at the co-op (using coupon code ANNV20) with a $20 bonus.
- This membership provides ongoing benefits including an annual dividend of 10 percent back on eligible purchases, access to a lifetime of coupons and discounts on shop services, outdoor classes, and member exclusive product. Becoming a member of the co-op also supports the co-op’s grants program giving back to local nonprofits across the country who are helping to create access and steward our outdoor places.
Even though most of the co-op’s physical stores are temporarily closed to customers, more than half of REI Co-op’s stores allow curbside pick-up of online orders, and zero-contact cycling shop services, and REI.com remains open for business. For details on specific stores, customers should check local REI listings. The co-op has also begun opening its stores to customers, beginning with three stores in Montana.
REI is a specialty outdoor retailer, headquartered near Seattle. The nation’s largest consumer co-op, REI is a growing community of more than 18 million members who expect and love the best quality gear, inspiring expert classes and trips, and outstanding customer service. REI has 162 stores in 39 states and the District of Columbia. If you can’t visit a store, you can shop at REI.com, REI Outlet or the free REI shopping app. REI isn’t just about gear. You can take the trip of a lifetime with REI Adventures, a global leader in active adventure travel that runs more than 300 custom-designed itineraries worldwide. The REI Outdoor School is run by professionally trained, expert-instructors who teach beginner-to advanced-level courses about a wide range of activities. To build on the infrastructure that makes life outside possible, REI invests millions annually in hundreds of local and national nonprofits that create access to—and steward—the outdoor places that inspire us all.