I purchased this to test last weekend against a Patagonia Capilene 3 synthetic base layer - both items were brand new, and both were Men's Medium size. I wore the synthetic base layer on the first day of climbing and the above item made from merino wool on the second day. Below is my comparison of the two:
1. Fit: The Merino 3 (subject item) seemed a little bit more snug around the stomach than the Cap 3. Arms, shoulders, everything else fit exactly the same. I'm 6' tall, wear a 42" regular suit jacket, 34" waist and weigh around 185.
2. Comfort: The Cap 3 was slightly more comfortable next to skin than the wool. On a scale of 1 to 10, the Cap 3 is an 8, and the Merino 3 is a 7.
3. Warmth: I found the Merino 3 was slightly warmer than the Cap 3.
4. Wicking: The two pieces seemed identical in this regard.
5. After Smell: (I think we all know what I'm talking about.) This test was run 2 days after wearing the Cap 3 and 1 day after wearing the Merino 3. It was obvious to me that I'd worn the Cap 3 since it had been washed. However, not even my wife, who's olfactory senses are many times greater than my own, could tell that I'd worn the Merino 3.
I'd say both the Cap 3 and Merino 3 have their places, but if I had to pick one over the other, I'd go with the Merino 3.
Feels true to size
Climbing, Hiking, Winter Sports
Was this a gift?:
Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend this to a friend