Fort Howard Park Trail
Meander along the well-fortified confluence of the Patapsco River and Chesapeake Bay. Fort Howard traces its beginnings to 1896, when the U.S. government began purchasing land on North Point in preparation of fortifying the area essential to repelling naval attacks on the City of Baltimore. Originally called North Point Military Reservation and renamed Fort Howard, for Colonel John Eager Howard, in 1904, it served as the headquarters of Baltimore’s coastal defenses from the time the first troops arrived on June 27, 1899, until the last troops left in August 1940. The Veterans Administration (VA) acquired the property, and now a chain-link fence separates the grounds of the VA Hospital from the park.
We cannot find this location: please try again.
Directions to: Fort Howard Park Trailprint directions
Trail Statistics & Information
|Nearby City||Fort Howard|
|Elevation Gain||10 ft|
|Duration||30 to 45 minutes|
|Trailhead Elevation||20 ft|
|Top Elevation||20 ft|
REI MEMBERS: SAVE $20 on a Trails.com Subscription
Subscribe to Trails.com for just $29.95 a year and gain full access to over 49,000 professional trail guides, high-res USGS topo maps & much more!