Greek Islands Family Adventure
- Enjoy a family vacation in Greece, from ancient Athens to beautiful Santorini
- Hike to ancient ruins; swim and kayak in the warm waters of the Mediterranean
- Make Greek bracelets, cook local cuisine, and learn about ancient history
- Share quality time together while immersing yourself in Greek culture
From its archaeological wonders to its beautiful islands, Greece is the perfect destination for a family vacation. Starting in Athens, our journey climbs the famous steps up to the ancient ruins of the Acropolis. Speeding off to the island of Mykonos, we hike by the amazing UNESCO world heritage site of Delos, said to be the birthplace of Apollo and Artemis. On Santorini, world famous for its dramatic crater and connection to the lost city of Atlantis, we kayak, swim, and play.
Learn how to make famous Greek specialties like tzatziki sauce and enjoy fun activities to learn about Greece's culture, alphabet, and history. We even make our own Greek worry bead bracelet to take home as a souvenir.
Leave the hurry of our daily lives behind and embrace the Greek "siga siga"—slow, slow—approach to life. Share quality family time together in a land with unforgettable scenery, charming culture, and magnificent historical riches. Immerse your family in the mythological land of Greece!
Kids get an REI day pack — Kids traveling on our Family Adventures will receive an REI day pack for their adventure! Kids age 8-17 will receive the REI Flash 18 Pack (while quantities last, colors may vary).
Not traveling with kids under age 18? Check out our Greek Island Hopper trip or inquire about a private departure of this itinerary.
Important Notice: Day 1 is the day you should plan to arrive at the meeting point for the trip. This may require departing your hometown one or more days in advance and traveling on an overnight flight.
Greek Islands Family Adventure Itinerary:
Day 1 Walking tour of Athen's historic Plaka and dinner at a Greek taverna.
Day 2 Explore the magnificent Acropolis; high-speed ferry to Mykonos Island.
Day 3 Hike at Delos, mythical birthplace of Apollo; swim at Mykonos Beach.
Day 4 Kayak past Santorini's towering cliffs; Greek barbecue on the beach!
Day 5 Swim in warm volcanic waters and hike along Santorini's caldera.
Day 6 Hike to Ancient Thira; make a begleri (Greek bracelet).
Day 7 Say our farewell to Athens and depart for home.
Although we do our very best to adhere to the schedule listed above, this itinerary is subject to change for numerous reasons beyond our control.
All accommodations and meals as noted in the daily itinerary; all transfers on the islands by private bus or taxi; half day sightseeing tour of Athens with entrance fees and a professional guide; skilled bi-lingual trip leader; high speed boat and ferry tickets; airport transfers when arriving and departing with group.
Airfare to Athens Greece; airport transfers if not arriving and departing with group; flight from Santorini to Athens (mandatory internal flight); optional side trips; optional taxis; excess baggage charges; airport taxes; trip cancellation insurance; dinner on Day 5; alcoholic beverages; soft drinks or snacks; laundry; optional gratuities to guide(s) and items of a personal nature.
Please check with us before purchasing your airline tickets to ensure your trip has the necessary minimum number of participants required to operate.
If you are traveling alone and specifically request single accommodations, you will be asked to pay the full single supplement noted on the trip itinerary. If you wish to share accommodations, we will assign you a roommate if one is available. If a roommate cannot be found, you will be asked to pay a reduced single fee, which is half of the full single supplement. Please be advised that there are a limited number of single accommodations available.
Summer on the Cyclades Islands is sunny and warm. The daytime temperatures average in the 80s. However, temperatures in the 90s are possible in the summer months. Nighttime temperatures cool off slightly to the 70s. Water temperatures average in the mid 70s. Rain showers are rare, but it's often breezy on the coast.
This trip is rated Easy Active . Trip members should be experienced walkers/hikers in good physical condition. A typical day will consist of 2-5 hours of activity be it touring, swimming, kayaking or short hikes. Terrain is often uneven with some rocky and steep sections. The trails are well maintained, but can have loose and/or sharp rocks. No experience is needed for the kayaking portion of this trip – this paddle is appropriate for novices. You should expect to be in a sea kayak for between two to three hours on Day 4.
This trip is subject to the booking information set forth in the current REI Adventures Reservation Information. Please read this information carefully and call us if you have any questions. A full gear list and pre-departure information is sent upon sign-up. We highly recommend the purchase of travel insurance through REI Adventures. If coverage is purchased at the time of your initial reservation, the 'Pre-existing Conditions Exclusion' is waived (certain exclusions apply).
We look forward to having you join us for the trip of a lifetime! Why wait? Space is limited, reserve your adventure today.
Greek Islands Family Adventure
The key to staying comfortable on safari is layering. To get maximum comfort with minimum weight, you need versatile layers that mix and match to create the right amount of insulation. This gear list is provided to help you in choosing your equipment and clothing for this trip. Try to bring only what is necessary.
- Valid passport
- Airline tickets
- Luggage, wheels and retractable handle are recommended
- Daypack to carry camera, water bottle, sunscreen, etc.
- Luggage lock and luggage tags
- Passport pouch or money belt
- Bring a few casual, lightweight, easily washable items for city and island wear
- Midweight fleece sweater or light jacket
- Rain jacket, waterproof and breathable (unlikely to be needed in Summer months)
- Long-sleeve shirt
- Hiking pants, synthetic, quick drying
- Hiking shorts, synthetic, quick drying
- Hiking socks
- Liner socks
- Swimsuit cover-up
- Sun hat
- Walking shoes, broken in, good ankle support
- Casual, comfortable shoes or sandals for evening and travel
- Beach sandals (sport sandals with heel strap are recommended)
- Sunscreen and lip balm with high SPF
- Personal first aid kit
- Sunglasses and leash
- 1-quart water bottle or hydration system
- Toiletry kit
- Trekking poles or walking stick
- Camera, memory and batteries
- Reading and writing materials
- Electrical adapter plug / converter
- Watch with alarm or travel alarm
- Travel pillow
- Spare contact lenses or glasses
- Motion sickness remedies for high-speed catamaran rides
- Beach towel
Things to Consider
- Always pack essential items such as your passport, REI Adventures trip final bulletin, money, eyewear, medications and a change of clothes in your carry-on baggage in case your luggage is delayed.
- This is a vehicle supported tour; your luggage is transported for you. Please pack your gear and clothing into one piece of luggage (plus daypack).
- Make sure your hiking boots (or walking footwear) are broken-in, and bring moleskin Second Skin® or Blister Block® for foot treatment. Wearing thin liner socks made of silk or synthetic fibers under your regular hiking socks may minimize the risk of blisters.
Feel free to give us a call at (800) 622-2236 should you have any questions regarding the gear list. The staff at our stores and Direct Sales (800-426-4840) will also be happy to help you with gear questions. Or check out www.rei.com/learn. The Expert Advice section on our "Learn" page has great information to help you prepare for your trip.