Cape Town Extension
- Hike to the top of Table Mountain for fantastic panoramic views
- Explore the rugged and beautiful Cape Peninsula
- Visit a township to learn about South Africa's political and cultural history
- Spend a day cycling and wine-tasting in the picturesque Cape Winelands
- Options to customize activity level based on personal preference
Lying on the southern tip of Africa where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans collide, Cape Town's dramatic peaks and coastline, paired with its magnetic cosmopolitan appeal, attract travelers from around world. With a mix of breathtaking scenery, stirring history, and exhilarating outdoor activities, Capetown is an adventurer's paradise.
Our trip showcases Cape Town's natural and cultural highlights. Hike with our experienced guide to the summit of Table Mountain and explore the lovely vineyards of the Winelands by bicycle. Or for those preferring preferring a more relaxed vacation, enjoy the fantastic views after a cable-car ascent of Table Mountain, and travel the Winelands by motor vehicle. Evenings are spent in the comfort of a small boutique hotel, a perfect retreat after a full day of discovery.
We round out our exploration with a tour of the rugged Cape Peninsula and a visit to a local township: an apartheid community now working hard to improve its quality of life.
Our Cape Town Extension combines easily with any of our southern Africa safaris.
Important Notice: Day 1 is the day you should plan to arrive at the meeting point for the trip. This may require departing your hometown one or more days in advance and traveling on an overnight flight.
Cape Town Extension Itinerary:
Day 1 Arrive in Cape Town and enjoy the evening at a comfortable boutique hotel.
Day 2 Hike iconic Table Mountain and visit one of Cape Town's local townships.
Day 3 Enjoy a tour of the beautiful Cape Peninsula and Cape of Good Hope.
Day 4 Discover the Cape Winelands during a full day of cycling and wine-tasting.
Day 5 Bid a fond farewell to the "Mother City" this morning.
Although we will do our very best to adhere to the schedule listed above, this itinerary is subject to change for numerous reasons beyond our control including weather and terrain conditions.
Please check with us before purchasing your airline tickets to ensure your trip has the necessary minimum number of participants required to operate.
This extension can be reserved for single travelers. If you are traveling alone, you will be asked to pay the full single supplement noted on the trip itinerary.
Accommodations as specified on the itinerary; transfers as noted on itinerary including arrival/departure transfer from/to Cape Town airport; all meals as noted on the itinerary; professional guide accompaniment throughout; all daily excursions/activities and associated gear as noted including bicycles for Winelands cycling; wine tasting.
Round-trip international airfare to Cape Town; 4 dinners; international entry/departure taxes; travel insurance; excess baggage charges; pre and post-trip tours; items of a personal nature; gratuities.
Special payment and cancellation policies apply to this trip. The $400 per person deposit is non-refundable at time of sign up. Final payment is due 90 days prior to departure. At 60-31 days prior to departure, 50% of the land cost is non-refundable. At 30 days or less prior to departure all costs are non-refundable.
This trip is rated Moderate  but participants will have the option to skip the Table Mountain hike and/or cycling in the Winelands at their discretion, allowing you to customize the activity level based on your personal interests/desire. Our itinerary incorporates a variety of different activities including hiking and cycling. The Table Mountain hike is a vigorous hike approx. 4 hours long with an elevation gain of 2,500'. Our 20-mile cycling day in the Winelands is on mostly paved roads using hybrid bikes with flat handlebars. Participants planning to hike and/or cycle should arrive in good physical condition, having begun a regular exercise regimen at least 3-4 months prior to departure. Recommended exercises include hiking/walking incorporating as much elevation gain as possible and cycling 15-20 miles daily as frequently as possible leading up to departure.
Due to its coastal position, lying between the Indian and Atlantic oceans, Cape Town enjoys a mild Mediterranean climate for most of the year. Summers (December – March) are the warmest season with daytime temperatures in the 70s and evenings dropping into the 50s and 60s. Winter (June – September) temperatures generally climb into the 60s during the day and drop into the 40s and 50s at night. Spring and fall are great seasons to visit Cape Town as daytime temperatures are pleasantly warm (60s – 70s) rarely dropping below 50° F at night. Winter months are typically the rainiest months of the year although you are likely to encounter some sunny and mild days as well. Regardless of the time of year you plan to visit, please arrive equipped with appropriate gear and clothing based on the specific recommendations of the trip Gear List.
This trip is subject to the booking information set forth in the current REI Adventures Reservation Information. Please read this information carefully and call us if you have any questions. A full gear list and pre-departure information is sent upon sign-up. We highly recommend the purchase of travel insurance through REI Adventures. If coverage is purchased at the time of your initial reservation, the 'Pre-existing Conditions Exclusion' is waived (certain exclusions apply).
We look forward to having you join us for the trip of a lifetime! Why wait? Space is limited, reserve your adventure today.
Cape Town Extension
The key to staying comfortable while on an active trip is layering. To get maximum comfort with minimum weight, you need versatile layers that mix and match to create the right amount of insulation, ventilation and weather protection. This gear list has been created to help you in choosing your equipment for the trip. Try to bring only what is necessary.
- Hybrid bicycles
- Bicycle helmets
- Group first aid kit
- Valid passport
- Airline tickets
- Duffel bag or soft-sided suitcase (wheels and retractable handle are fine)
- Passport security pouch or belt
- Daypack for camera, water bottles and extra clothing
- Luggage tags and luggage locks
- Lightweight, easily washable items for city wear or when traveling
- Lightweight rain jacket and pants, waterproof and breathable
- T-shirts, some synthetic
- Long sleeve shirts
- Shorts, some synthetic
- Hiking pants (zip-off legs are great)
- Liner socks
- Swimsuit (for hotel swimming pool)
- Sun hat
- Bicycle shorts
- Hiking boots - lightweight, water resistant, broken in (for those planning to hike Table Mountain)
- Comfortable walking shoes for use while touring and cycling
Things to Consider
- Please remember to always pack essential items such as your passport, money, eyewear, hiking boots, a pair of shorts/shirt/fleece top/sandals and medications in your carry-on baggage, in case your luggage is delayed.
- Always test your layers before a trip. Your outer layer should fit easily over the inside ones without binding and bunching up.
- Make sure boots are broken-in. Thin liner socks worn under regular hiking socks may minimize the risk of blisters. The liner sock should be synthetic, not cotton. Test your sock combination before you go on the trip. Bring your favorite blister-prevention remedy such as Moleskin or Blister Block.
- If you wear prescription glasses, use a safety cord and bring an extra pair if possible. Contact lens wearers should also bring an extra set, or bring eyeglasses for a backup.
- We recommend that you carry a photocopy of your passport (the personal id information page) with you and keep it separate from your passport.
Feel free to give us a call at (800) 622-2236 should you have any questions regarding the gear list. The staff at our stores and Direct Sales (800-426-4840) will also be happy to help you with gear questions. Or check out www.rei.com/learn. The Expert Advice section on our "Learn" page has great information to help you prepare for your trip.