cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What was your 2021 Opt Outside Activity?

My 2021 #REI #OptOutside activity was a three+ mile brisk walk through the neighborhood as snow flurries fell and a cold breeze blew. Okay, I might not have been cycling, paddling, hiking, skiing, or climbing as I have in past years, but hey, it got me off the couch, away from the television, and in the great outdoors along a tree lined road on top of a ridge. And I wasn't shopping, not in a store or on line. In fact, I did not spend a single cent today. The activity addressed not only my physical health but also my mental health and spiritual wellbeing. I am glad our REI initiated #OptOutside a few years ago. It seems to have influenced other retailers, not just outdoor retailers, but retailers in general. Thanks, REI. How did you #OptOutside on Friday, November 26, 2021?

aka "Boonerelli"

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
7 Replies

@John 

Thanks for asking!

Unfortunately, my OptOutside activity came with the very sad news that a dear friend (and fellow REI employee) had found out the day before that he had a 2" tumor in his brain. He is going in for surgery on Monday and doctors are hopeful. His stay in the hospital ended a 3249 day streak of running at least a mile every single day. So, in his honor, we changed up our plans for getting outside and we went for a one mile run. We will go again today, and tomorrow, and every day until he's better and can re-start his streak. It is a good reminder that even in the midst of things we can't control, we can still find ways to center ourselves, honor our friends, and engage in activities that are good for our physical and mental health.

I'm excited to hear what everyone else did for their OptOutside activity!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

A worthy and meaningful #OptOutside activity.

aka "Boonerelli"

Hi @John .  Great question!  I am somewhat abashed to say that this Black Friday, my Opt Out wasn't really outdoors at all.  I did not, however, do any shopping.  I took both my grown kids and their significant others to a concert at the Sellersville Theater in PA to kick off the 2021 holiday season. The HO! HO! HOEY! ROCKIN HOLIDAY TOUR. (Awesome show, highly recommended to anyone close to the tour locations)

Granted, it was a 2-1/2 hour drive each way, and the concert was indoors, but at least it was in the holiday spirit, was a family bonding experience, contributed to the small business community, and was not perpetuating the retail frenzy that Black Friday has come to represent.

I did spend Saturday, again with family, outside at a local tree farm, searching for and harvesting this year's Christmas tree, and the rest of today (Sunday) will be spent outside cleaning up my lawn.  

@REI-JohnJ , sorry to hear about your friend, but I find your way to honor his struggle and lift his spirits truly inspirational.

I have fond memories of looking for a tree at tree farms, and time with family is always appropriate, inside or outside. Feeling a little guilty about my three mile walk on Friday, I cycled 15 miles on Saturday in temps around 38 degrees and saw only one other cyclist and one pedestrian while I was on the rail trail.

aka "Boonerelli"

I just went for a walk in the park.  Not super exciting, but it's a nice park.

Let's hear more about the park. Unfortunately, the closest park to me, three or four miles away, does not offer much in the way of hiking trails.

aka "Boonerelli"

I went on a 20.8 mile hike with two of my grandsons (both 12 years old). Started early in the morning and ended at about 1500 hours (3pm). Along the way my grandsons pointed out the various plants and wildlife that they saw. I was so proud of them as they ID at least 20 different plants and at least 15 different species of wildlife. They really knew their birds and trees. We also did our bit and policed some trash along the trail. It was a very enjoyable day with my grandsons!