- Author: Stephen R. Whitney and Rob Sandelin
- Softcover; 317 pages; color photos and illustrations
- The Mountaineers Books; copyright 2003
- More than 700 color illustrations for easy identification
- Expanded with new sections on mushrooms, insects and rock identification
- Handy color tabs for easy access, plus quick reference index on back cover
- Species accounts include common name, scientific name and description of important features, habitat and geographic range
Don't just call it a mushroom when it's a golden chanterelle; know your screech owl from your saw-whet owl; distinguish a monarch butterfly from a painted lady-all with the help of this comprehensive guide to the common plants and animals of the Cascade and Olympic Mountains.