REI Site Rules
Effective Date: March 11, 2010
Welcome to REI.com. We're excited to provide online tools to help you connect with other people who are passionate about the outdoors. This is the place to share your experiences, voice your opinions and find inspiration for your outdoor adventures.
To maintain a safe, trustworthy and fun online environment, we've crafted this set of common-sense guidelines, or Site Rules ("rules"). In a nutshell: When you use REI.com ("site"), you agree to contribute responsibly, treat others with respect and adhere to the following rules.
We strive to protect REI.com and its users and others from spam, abuse and other unacceptable conduct. By using our site, you agree to refrain from the following activities:
- Commercial Use: The site is intended for personal, non-commercial use. For example, it’s not the place to post classified ads to sell your old equipment or advertise any other products or services. Without prior written consent, our vendors are not allowed to advertise their products here, either. But REI is, after all, a retailer and of course we will use the site for our own commercial purposes (including by employees who are authorized to speak on behalf of the company).
- Dangerous Activities: Keep it safe. Don't post or share materials that encourage reckless or irresponsible behavior. This prohibition extends to content that describes or encourages any potentially harmful or offensive use of the products we sell.
- Harassment: Be respectful. Don't use our site to harass, threaten, intimidate, bully or stalk others.
- Harmful Technology: Play nice. Don't post any material that contains software viruses or other harmful or destructive code.
- Impersonation: Be yourself. You may not impersonate others or misrepresent yourself, your age or your affiliations. Also, don't create a screen name that uses a company's trademarked name without authorization.
- Infringement: Respect others' rights. Don't copy, post or share any content that violates copyright, trademark or other rights of third parties. You are not allowed to use REI’s copyrighted material, or logo or other trademarks without our permission.
- Invasion of Privacy: Maintain good boundaries. Don't share passwords or post, solicit or share private information about others without their consent. This includes addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, Social Security numbers and credit card numbers.
- Repeat Registration or Unauthorized Access: You can register for only one online account on REI.com. Do not attempt to use anyone else's account without their permission. The REI Employee badge is for REI employees only, and can be used only when provided to you by REI.
- Spam: Be trustworthy. Don't use the site to spam others or to encourage others to spam. This includes sending unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, solicitations, promotional materials, junk mail, chain letters and pyramid schemes. Also, it’s not permissible to harvest or collect others' email addresses or contact information for the purpose of spamming.
- Unlawful Use: Keep it on the up-and-up. You may not use the site to engage in activities that violate any law, for any unlawful purpose or to promote illegal activities.
We welcome and encourage your contributions to REI.com. They’re the lifeblood of our online community. However, certain kinds of speech don’t belong on our site:
- Offensive or Defamatory Content: Don't post or share content that is derogatory, demeaning, malicious, defamatory, abusive, offensive or hateful.
- Adult Content: You may not upload content that is obscene, pornographic or sexually explicit.
- Violent Content: Don't post content that depicts graphic or gratuitous violence.
- Unfair or Deceptive Content: You are not allowed to post content that is unfair or deceptive or that otherwise violates consumer protection laws.