Private Session: Backcountry Navigation With A Map and Compass
$300 for REI Members
$380 for non-members
- Group size 1 people
Book a private session and you'll get this entire experience all to yourself--and up to three additional friends or family members. You'll enjoy more one-on-one time with the guide/instructor, more flexibility throughout the session, and a more personal experience for everyone who joins you. Price covers all costs for up to 4 people. During this class, our instructors will help you understand the information provided on your map, the proper use of your compass, and how to put the two together. You'll learn about magnetic north, true north, and magnetic variation (declination). After covering these fundamentals, you'll get time to practice taking a bearing from the terrain and your map so that you can make sense of your position and plan a route. This engaging course is a great introduction to outdoor navigation and map reading!
- Read a topographic map
- Understand the difference between true north and magnetic north
- Learn to calculate declination
- Use a compass to take a bearing, plot your position on a map, and develop a route plan
- Build confidence in your navigational skills
- Private sessions can accommodate up to four participants, but you'll only need to enter your own information when registering. We'll collect any details we need from the other participants on the day of the event.
What to bring with you
PLEASE NOTE: Only one person will register for this course, but this private session allows a total group size of 4 people. Invite family members or friends to join you! A Local Experiences team member will contact you ahead of the course to learn more about your group size. If you have any questions please contact us M-F between 9am-4pm at 1 (877) 819-3807 or SanFrancisco-OS@rei.com
Activity locationChina Camp State Park, Marin County: Village Beach
More directions and information
Pay $5 at the pay station in the village. Meet us at the south end of the beach near the green shack.