SoCal Bolted & Natural Climbing Anchors
- Fitness level 1: Relaxed
- Skill level 2: Intermediate
- Group size: 6
Learn the basics of building rock climbing anchors utilizing fixed bolts and natural features. In this hands-on program you'll learn to confidently identify trustworthy bolts, boulders, and trees that you can use to build top rope climbing anchors. We'll cover climbing gear, all the necessary knots, how to practice good cliff safety techniques, and what to look for in a solid and redundant climbing anchor. This class is designed for those with some prior top rope climbing experience who are comfortable belaying others. All anchor building supplies are provided by REI, but please bring your own climbing harness if you have one.
- Learn to identify trustworthy bolts & natural features
- Learn to tie anchor building knots
- Understand the required elements of a solid and secure climbing anchor
- This class does not focus on climbing technique and there is no guarantee of time to climb
More directions and information
REI Outdoor School will meet on the north-bound side of Topanga Canyon Rd by the Stoney Point sign.