Backpacking Under Meteors on the Ridge of Silicon Valley
- Fitness level 3: Moderate
- Skill level 1: Beginner
- Minimum age: 14
- Group size: 1
Escape the city lights and join us for a special backpacking trip during one of the peak meteor showers of the year. Gain an amazing new perspective of the valley! Join us on a beginner-friendly adventure to the top of the Black Mountain in Monte Bello (Beautiful Mountain) Open Space. Monte Bello Open Space is a shining example of California's Golden landscape in the Summer and Fall and transforms into rolling green woodlands in the Winter and Spring. Whatever the season, this is a great place to get away from the bustle and noise of the valley. We will hike 2.5 miles to the Black Mountain summit camp. The pace is easy and we stop often to enjoy the spectacular views of the surrounding open spaces and valley below. At night we will have a front row seat for the meteor shower. Meteor sightings aren't guaranteed. Registration includes food, backpacking equipment and instruction with expert REI guides.
- Registration includes food, backpacking equipment and instruction with expert REI guides
- Learn how to pack a backpack for fit, balance and accessibility for ultimate comfort on the trail
- Trail snacks, dinner and breakfast will be provided. Vegetarian and vegan options available upon request
- This hike is 5 miles round trip with 800' elevation gain
Cross your fingers for the peak of the Geminids meteor shower at night.
Monte Bello Open Space, Palo Alto: Main Parking Lot
More directions and information
Plan on at least 20 minutes to drive this windy mountain road from Highway 280 and look out for cyclists!